orpheusx9's avatar

orpheusx9

• Joined Mar 20, 2015

TL;DR - Has cute moments but is mostly frustrating.

As other reviewers have noted, the premise is dumb. Basically a school mandates random student pairings of husband and wife under the pretense that it's practice for newlywed life when they get older. If you get good grades (e.g., are lovey enough) then you'd be able to switch pairs. So our main male lead and female lead are together, and they've agreed to work together to get their grades up so that they can switch and be with the actual people they like.

The problem? They, predictably, fall in love with each other. But of course, they absolutely refuse to tell each other out of fear of putting the other out, making things awkward, getting rejected, etc. It's not necessarily a bad conflict, but...

/SPOILERS

What really killed this is the fact that they discover they like each other less than 10 chapters in. At least with other romance stories like Nisekoi, the leads start off genuinely disinterested in each other (borderline hating each other) and it takes a long, long time and lots of stuff happening for them to finally understand their feelings. But here it happened pretty much right away. So all of the story's tension revolves around neither person just saying, "Hey, I actually like you," and it's insanely aggravating. There aren't even any interesting side-conflicts either, except for one unrequited love, because this isn't really a harem but a love triangle. So the only points of interest are the MC and FMC's relationships.

When they first started having an inkling that they liked each other, it was kinda cute. But it's dragged out for fucking 44 chapters now (and each chapter is fairly long, 10-15 min read), and they still haven't resolved their feelings (even though one of the other primary conflicts did get resolved!!).

/END SPOILERS

Art is gorgeous. Lots of nice fan service too, if you're into that kinda thing. But the characters? Dumb. It's rage-inducing how dense our male lead is. And based on how the latest chapters have gone, I think we've unfortunately just ended an arc and have at least one or two more to go before we reach the end, and I'm not sure I have the patience to sit through it.