nickw's avatar

• Winchester
  • Joined Jun 15, 2012

Ultraviolet: Code 044

Jun 28, 2012

I wasn't sure what to expect from Ultraviolet: Code 044 given how unpopular the original film was, but ended up only a little disappointed.

The programme had some good ideas and I found the story universe interesting, but the background needed expansion.  It was difficult to care about the characters when you barely knew anything about them, often until right before they died.  Perhaps it would have been better if there were more episodes to tell the story in more detail, and give the characters more back-story.  The style of drawing used suited the series well, giving the dystopian future a suitably harsh and hard feel.

Unfortunately the episodes were disjointed, with large jumps between some of them which made it hard to understand what was happening and why.  The concept of the repressed underclass (the Phage) wanting to create a new society on another world is not a new plot device, but it worked well.  It was a shame the writers didn't make more of that, or give any more detail on the misuse of clones and how the ordinary humans felt about that.  I also thought there was no satisfying ending to Luka's story.

Overall I think the series is worth a quick watch, you should give the first episode a go if you like action anime.  Just don't be expecting a work of art!