nathandouglasdavis's avatar

nathandouglasdavis

• Joined Feb 23, 2019
  • ?

For quite a bit of this manga, the Item Box skill serves as the central point of focus. Kou uses the Item Box in creative ways during fights and to help with picking herbs cleanly (see ch. 3, 4, 6), which lead to people being impressed by fem. And honestly, these usages of the Item Box do primarily seem to rely on Kou's creative thinking. Which is at least preferable to how many of feir other skills operate, where they just give fem advantages without any need for creative input on Kou's part. Kou is way too overpowered and has way too many skills and acquires way too many advantageous items. It becomes a boring story very quickly. The image of fem defeating someone by wielding a chair is pretty funny, but humorous encounters like that become literally nonexistent after that singular clash. Instead, the story has Kou fighting against increasingly dangerous monsters and defeating them all in relatively quick succession.

The artwork is generic and unimpressive. Many of the monsters look stilted and awkward. We often see Kou with feir hand on feir chin, as fe contemplates what actions to take next or as fe ruminates over what someone has just said. I think this is done 'cause the artist doesn't really know what poses to have the characters take sometimes and just falls back on generic filler.

Chapter 16 felt like it could've been a wrap-up chapter for the series, but it says it'll be continued, so we'll see what type of direction the story will take from this point onward. I don't have high hopes for it.

[Reviewed at chapter 16]