nathandouglasdavis's avatar

• Joined Feb 23, 2019
  • ?

Dungeon Majesty

Oct 16, 2021

The first few chapters are quite glorious in how they subvert expectations for humorous effect. The theme of this entire season is related to Oh Ju-Yoon's desire to be heroic and how things don't always go the same way as in the light novels and stories from Earth. Our protagonist starts out as a Brick Eater--which is easily one of the cutest sections of the entire manhwa--and then has feir soul stone transferred into the body of a Synthetic Zombie. Soul stones and the idea of upgrading to stronger bodies becomes a central part of the plotline, with that being the focus of the mad scientist Luzeffle's research. There is also magic and some fight scenes, though the choreography of the fight scenes isn't all that impressive. More than anything, these first 35 chapters just seem to be setting the stage for future storylines--giving our protagonist some allies and partial-allies and introducing us to the world and some of the dynamics between various species and factions.

I don't like the expansive landscapes. Smudgy and blurry. I also find a lot of the rest of the artwork to be unimpressive. The designs for some of the species are nice, with the Brick Eaters being especially adorable. I think there is probably too much emphasis on the cleavage of the buxom female characters.

The climactic fight brought this story down from an 8/10 to a 6/10 for me. It had three stages, with parts of it being set within a pocket dimension and including some metaphorical and sentimental aspects to it. It was corny and unfunny, and the ultimate way in which the final boss was defeated (with all of the souls banding together) was just super cringe. It also felt strange how lengthy this fight was in comparison to the total length of the manhwa--it takes up about 25% of it--though honestly it probably wouldn't have been noticeable if the interactions and problem-solving aspects were actually well written instead of this weak-ass, corny shit that we got.