nathandouglasdavis's avatar

• Joined Feb 23, 2019
  • ?

Scientia

Sep 21, 2021

I quickly grew uncomfortable with how prominent the work-hard propaganda was throughout this series. Every single chapter involves some level of glorifying hard work and treating strenuous and lengthy work conditions as normal and even as something to be sought after. The summation in the final panels of this collection says "To be happy, you have to work hard somewhere." Chapter two includes the idea that work will consume your life, regardless of where you work, "if you do it properly." Chapter three refers to coming in early and leaving late as working "normally." Chapter six has someone smiling fondly at the memory of an old boss berating fem and pushing fem to work harder. Parents neglecting their children is also a recurring topic, with mothers "bringing men home" or otherwise not doing enough (not working hard enough) to care for their children. I appreciated some of the ways things were depicted--like how they showed Endo acclimating to Kaori's body--and I probably would've enjoyed this collection a lot more if it wasn't so steeped in the "hard work" shit.

The majority of the stories are about drugs or therapies that alter people's perception of the world around them--there's a drug that induces limerance (ch. 2), a therapy that allows someone to work "normally"/harder (ch. 4), a drug that helps neglected children feel loved (ch. 5), and a therapy that allows someone to pull out their full potential (ch. 7). We also get a story about someone lending control of feir body to someone else's consciousness (ch. 1), a story about a mother raising a clone of feir dead daughter (ch. 3), and a story about a dying man who has a robot caretaker (ch. 6). Each story ends in a way that is clearly intended to be inspiring or uplifting, often with a bittersweet feel.

Many of the female characters have a similar face, with a bob haircut. In fact, quite a few of the faces feel interchangeable. If they didn't have different names, I easily could've assumed that all these various characters were intended to be the same people. They have flat faces, with features looking tacked on rather than cohesive. I don't care for the thin, lengthy blushmarks. And I think the way the lips glisten when a guy finds a girl attractive to be somewhat silly. The kisses aren't sensual. The people are generally stiff or awkwardly drawn, but the non-people aspects of the manga are a lot more pleasant to look at.

You must be logged in to leave comments. or