nathandouglasdavis's avatar

• Joined Feb 23, 2019
  • ?

Cowa!

Mar 29, 2021

The art is full color in the first chapter, but grayscale after that. It sorta reminds me of Captain Underpants or something like that. More simplistic than I was expecting from Akira Toriyama in this stage of feir career. I imagine this might be appealing to kids. It's got that low-tension, surface-level-plot quality that you find in childrens' books or shows. The stakes are technically life or death, but it sure doesn't feel that way. There's a friendship arc between Maruyama and the kids--breaking through feir tough exterior and self-imposed isolation (imposed after fe had accidentally killed someone because fe's just too strong). The adventures in the first few chapters--and even later, to some degree--are meandering and filled with random directional shifts and encounters. There are some fight scenes, but they're not exciting or anything. Some of the humor comes from the monsters having topsy-turvy moral judgments, where good is bad and bad is good. Though this flipped mentality falls apart pretty quickly. Paifu helping people is initially portrayed as a moral degradation, but by the end of the manga, it's seen as heroic and laudable. Lying is also initially portrayed as not a big deal for monsters, but later is shown to be something to be ashamed of. Stealing is always portrayed as bad (though it's something they still do). I find Apone to be annoying. And I feel that Paifu's werekoala transformations and de-transformations were too quick and convenient.