nathandouglasdavis's avatar

• Joined Feb 23, 2019
  • ?

Ninkyou Tensei

Feb 22, 2021

Chapter one was written very well--drawing me into the world, getting me invested in the characters--and that's even before the main character got isekai'd away. I feel that the pre-transportation segment was fascinating enough on its own that I honestly wouldn't have complained if this manga had just continued in the human world, which is something I definitely can't say about the majority of isekai manga. Though that's not to say that the story deteriorates once it reaches the other world or anything like that. Far from it--it's an excellently put together fantasy battle manga with magicized punches, demonic opponents, and some comedic elements mixed in. This world has Guiding Skill Trees, which are veins on peoples' arms (usually non-visible) that reflect the spells and skills they've learned or innately have access to. The artwork is very pleasant to look at, fluid, and organic.

The main character was previously an old yakuza guy with a strong sense of honor and protectiveness over feir community and subordinates, and fe is now a princess named Ryuu who's still immodest and manly in feir actions and temperment (which can create some humorous moments in addition to the general cool factor). Fe is on the run from the Chivalric Order from feir own kingdom, presumably because of some political scheming by feir brother, and travels from town to town. So far, feir travels have taken fem and feir companions to Tashtoria (ch. 2-6), an elven village (ch. 7), Damiemi (ch. 8-13), a trafficking ship (ch. 14-15), and Dunia (ch. 16-present). Several of these places are dealing with drug problems, with bad leadership, and/or with demons. Fe acts in feir manly and protective way and punches anybody who deserves to be punched, gaining allies and the general respect of the masses along the way. There is some non-nippled toplessness on Ryuu's part, but it's more for comedic effect than for sensuality.

[Reviewed chapter 19]