nathandouglasdavis's avatar

• Joined Feb 23, 2019
  • ?

11:59

Jun 30, 2020

I mean, I guess it's nice that everything worked out, but with this type of plot it really makes me wonder how things would've turned out if Mokhwa had responded differently. You see, the time loop is dependent on not just the actions of one person, but on the actions of both people. I think that type of setting is inherently weaker than if only one person's actions mattered. In the actual version of events, both Choi Gyun and Mokwha's actions happen to line up and the story ends happily. But if their actions hadn't happened to line up (which is entirely plausible), would they have been trapped in a time-prison forever? That's pretty intense. And to me at least, the fact that the story happens to have the happy ending feels more like plot armor to prevent that Greek hellscape from occurring that the natural course of events. In fact, if I think about it, Mokhwa's attitude in the final chapter wasn't foreshadowed or hinted at--if anything, his complete nonchalance when their fingers touched in the first chapter gave the opposite impression--which just makes the ending feel even more written and plot armor-y.