nathandouglasdavis's avatar

nathandouglasdavis

• Joined Feb 23, 2019
  • ?

These stories are built around portraying flirting in the workplace and calling your coworkers cute as adorable, but there's a reason that such behavior is unprofessional: people don't always want to be on the receiving end of such attention and it can create a tense and unhealthy workplace environment if left unchecked. If this was a good story with any sort of depth, they would include a character who didn't appreciate this type of behavior (the constant teasing and nosiness) and would use that to create more realistic drama and interactions, rather than this shallowness. On top of that, I've seen much cuter art than this and also much more interesting relationship dynamics than this (even among the shallow, cuteness-only storylines I've read). A sign of the weakness in the storytelling is that the cuteness isn't allowed to shine on its own strength; they have to have characters constantly pointing out how cute such-and-such is (good writers show it rather than tell it). And personally, I don't find most of this behavior cute. If an adult came up to me and started acting childish and immature like these characters do, I wouldn't think they were cute, I'd be disgusted and annoyed by them. The fact that all (five) of the characters in this comic unanimously find this behavior appealing is another thing that makes these characters feel completely detached from reality. Who's the target audience for these types of stories? It can't be people who care about seeing good stories or interesting interactions between various personalities, because have nothing even close to that in this.

In summary, the romance is so shallow and detached from reality with its attempts at cuteness, that it's literally impossible for me to enjoy it.

[Reviewed at chapter 37]