nathandouglasdavis's avatar

nathandouglasdavis

• Joined Feb 23, 2019
  • ?

In a fantasy world, Makoto largely interacts with the demi-humans and other non-humans. In a sense, the goddess of the world cursed him with the ability to speak all non-human languages (even being able to speak to horses), but made him unable to speak the human language. She did this because he is not beautiful and she doesn't want him to contaminate the beautiful human society she has created. But to be fair, Makoto isn't even intended to be ugly, just average-looking (by our world's standards). But the goddess is selfish, shallow, and exuding those final boss vibes.

Makoto is insanely strong and gains several powerful servants by defeating them in battle: Tomoe, Mio, and eventually Shiki. Once Tomoe becomes his servant, she gains the ability to open up a mist realm. This ends up becoming a central aspect of the manga. Tomoe convinces Makoto to build a city within this mist realm and then invites several groups to coexist there: highland orcs, elder dwarves, alkeys, and mistio lizardmen. It reminds me of That Time I Got Reincarnated As a Slime, in the sense of building a city of monsters which then trades with humans. Tomoe is the impetus for most of the developments and she is quite possibly my favorite character. (After Ema of course! I totes ship Makoto x Ema!!) Tomoe was able to read Makoto's memories and fell in love with period dramas. She wants to replicate Japanese culture within the mist realm and styles herself as a samurai. It's adorable. Though honestly, Mio's not a bad character either. She's very simple-minded and just wants to be loved by Makoto. As for side characters, I'd have to say that Rugui has captured my heart. He's the eye-patched dwarf who's tasked with designing gear suitable for Makoto, but his stated motives are, um, funny. I'm not sure how I feel about Rembrant; I both hate him and distrust him, but also find him a bit endearing and want to see how his story will unfold.

Since the goddess banished Makoto to the wastelands, isolated from humanity, she brought in two other heroes to the human realm. Every once in a while, the story will show what those heroes are up to. And I really don't enjoy those detours. The heroes aren't interesting protagonists. Or antagonists. They aren't interesting characters really at all and I don't care if they succeed or if they fail. I'm sure eventually, their storylines will intersect more directly with Makoto's and then maybe I'll appreciate the set-up that happened before then, but at the moment I just really don't care.

[Reviewed at chapter 47]