nathandouglasdavis's avatar

• Joined Feb 23, 2019
  • ?

Like a Laika

Dec 1, 2019

From the very first panel, where I saw Matsumoto's face squished like a dumpling, I loved the artwork. However, there's no plot to this manga.

It's split into three sub-chapters. The first one is just kinda a slice-of-life view of someone in a spaceship, being reprimanded for her skimpy clothes by her whale captain. It's probably the most enjoyable section.

The second section reminded me of an essay, a preachy essay trying to push one's opinions onto the readers. Specifically, it seems that the author wants AI technology to be worked on full-steam ahead, without people worrying about the ethics and potential repercussions of such technology (i.e. without people worrying about robots taking over the world/workforce and humanity becoming superfluous). The author refers to the sentiment that human intelligence is somehow superior to artificial intelligence as "human fundamentalism" and uses the voice of the droid Endo to call such an idea idiotic.

The third section is also a bit similar to an essay, asking the question, "Did Laika, the first dog in space, want to go to space?" and using that as a jumping off point to briefly muse on free will and the purpose of life.