nathandouglasdavis's avatar

nathandouglasdavis

• Joined Feb 23, 2019
  • ?

From the first scene and the title, you know that Ruri is a cat sitting on the dragon king's lap, but it takes a few chapters before you see how the story got to that point. She starts out as a human and it's not until chapter five, that you're like, "Oh, so that's how she became a cat" and not until chapter eight, that you're like "Oh, so that's how she started living with the dragon king." Ruri doesn't seem to be in a rush to get anything done and the manga has a nice, comfortable pacing because of that. I look forward to how the story will continue to slowly unpack more and more details about the world and relationships.

The art is beautiful and adorable, though some of the beastkin's noses are drawn a bit awkwardly. I love the ornate flowers drawn outside of some of the panels, purely for decorative purposes.

Ruri and Chelsea are both engaging characters. Asahi's not a super interesting character, but she's a good catalyst for non-malicious conflict. She's airheaded and Ruri resents her for being a constant plague on her life. The dragon king, Jade, has yet to develop into a strong character, but he's just supposed to be a love interest so I guess it's acceptable for his primary character traits to be hotness and enjoying petting Ruri. I am curious to see how the inevitable romance between Ruri and Jade will play out. Hopefully, it'll be adorable.

[Reviewed at chapter 11]