nathandouglasdavis's avatar

• ?

Akira

Nov 15, 2022

My 1,700th Review!

This story is a classic for a reason: it's prettty durn good. The realistic and interesting character motives and general aesthetic of a deteriorating futuristic cityscape are probably the highlights. The action scenes are alright, and can be quite intense and adrenaline-pumping when they hit right, but can also feel a bit repetitive at times. There are perhaps too many chase scenes. Sometimes leading to people getting caught, then escaping. Sometimes leading to people getting cornered and engaging in a shoot-out. There are also several scenes of trying to sneak into an area, which then (of course) will often then lead to either a chase scene or a shoot-out of some sort. There are also a ton of explosions and moments of architectural destruction. I guess what I'm saying is that the plot feels like it's going in circles sometimes and it might've been improved if there was a smidgen more variety to the sorts of plot devices used to keep the readers hooked.

The ending was alright enough...I guess. It wasn't bad. And I suppose I can see how it could make sense, but it also felt a little bit out of place. Like, I don't understand why Kaneda and Kei have decided to align themselves with the movement they're aligning themselves with. Even the moment that Kaneda had in the vision-world in the playground (and the presumed shift in certain relationship dynamics) doesn't adequately justify why Kaneda would align with that movement. And it definitely doesn't justify why Kei would be interested in that movement. Are we supposed to assume that Kei is just following Kaneda's lead? Because that doesn't line up very well with what we'd seen from Kei's personality previously. I dunno. It just felt like there were a lot of gaps and that it didn't flow super naturally from the events that preceded it, like it just came out of nowhere.

My favorite side characters are probably Chiyoko and Birdman, but I also think the Colonel had a pretty interesting character arc. I'm pretty cool with all of the main characters--Kaneda, Tetsuo, Kei. I will say that Akira is about as boring and passive of a character that you could get, which leads to some of Akira's actions feeling somewhat weakly explained (because we have a very minimal understanding of what is motivating or leading to those actions). It's okay though. I think some of the important elements--like how Akira had bonds with the elder-children--were conveyed, at the very least.

You must be logged in to leave comments. or