moonstruckhistoria's avatar

moonstruckhistoria

• Joined Oct 19, 2020

Black Butler

Feb 22, 2021

I love the first season of Black Butler. In order to truly enjoy this show, you must ignore the fandom surrounding it. If you do not avoid it, the show will be spoiled for you. After rewatching it five years later, this season never ceases to amaze me. Every episode has a purpose that leads up to a climatic ending. Every character has a purpose in the ending of the season and the details of the show are carefully thought out. My only complaint would be development of the main villians of the season instead of a few shorter clips in the last few episodes. The animation is fitting for the time period and subject as well as remarkably beautiful. The set design is beautiful and gives you true Victorian era along with the clothing the characters are dressed in. I've watched it in sub and dub (I prefer the dub version of this) and the voices for these characters are spectacular. Every voice fits and makes sense for each character. I also love the iconic line "I am simply one hell of a butler", although I am biased for J. Michael Tatum. I also love the song 'Monochrome Kiss' and the deliberate use of the Lacrimosa for the second half of the season (insanely fitting song coming from someone that studies music and music history)The characters are incredibly fitting, however, I do with there was more development in the side characters such as the servents (specifically Tanaka) before the end of the season. I also wish that Lizzie had a little more development since she is perceived to be an annoying brat when she really has not been developed to her fullest potential. I let this slide though because any more tampering with development would be difficult with pacing and connections throughout the series. Overall, spectacular show. While I don't consider it to be in my top ten, it is a show I hold dear to my heart and praise on how the story weaves together.

9.5/10 animation