mchensan's avatar

mchensan

• Joined Sep 3, 2020
  • 25

The best way I could put this story is that it's incredibly frustrating. It has all the elements it needs to really be a compelling story but just falls flat, mostly due to the fact that the world is just so generic and assumes too much of the reader. But anyways, this story is worth reading so lets start with the pros

The Pros

It's not Power Fantasy Trash - Well it kind of is and isn't but I think this is a huge plus out of the gate. The main character is very capable but not overwhelmingly so. The way he "cheats" the system is somewhat convincing enough. To anyone worried its RPG isekai trash, it's not, and I personally hate that kind of shit, so huge plus for me.

The Relationships - The relationships in this story are generally hit or miss but when the story hits, it hits. The relationship between Sylvia and Arthur (the MC) is very heartwarming and does just the right amount to make it work. The relationship Arthur fosters with some of his peers is pretty nice too. The relationship with Elijah is quite nice too.

The Pacing - The webtoon is pretty fast and entertaining throughout. It does a pretty good job between balancing character, story, and action. It's an engaging story and I totally binged it.

The Cons

The World - The world is very generic and doesn't bother to go in an original direction with the way it has decided to portray fantasy races. Elves are wood-y, Dwarves are earth-y, and Humans are everything-y. The world is set in a vaguely European setting that's incredibly anachronistic with clothing and architecture that would fit in Europe anywhere from 1000 to 1900. Everyone conveniently speaks the same language. There are adventurers and guilds. Etc. etc. It's essentially DnD lite. The magic is somewhat(?) original but can't really decide if it's like a science or something mystical.

The Culture (rather, lack thereof) - This is somewhat related to the World but needs it's own section because it's actually one of the biggest weaknesses of this story. From the webtoon, every race is alluded to have its own culture but there doesn't really seem to be differences at all. All the races share the same language, the same political system, and religion is pretty much nonexistent in this story. The political system is also confusing and unexplained. Nobility exists but it's unclear how it's set up. They're just kinda portrayed as rich assholes instead of people that serve a real political role in the kingdom.

The Isekai Elements - This is my least favorite part of the story but the isekai elements are leaned on too heavily as a deus ex machina and the fact that the MC was a king doesn't really seem like a good choice. For one, the MC was an orphan king, which could work, but doesn't make any sense because the webtoon implied he somehow became king through being strong, which is not how monarchies work. The world he used to live in looks very futuristic, with flying cars and shit, but the first piece of "future" tech he brings to the new world is a steam engine? The MC also doesn't seem to be particularly interested in politics despite being a king. I just assume that the MC was really just a soldier in his past life and it makes so many more of his choices make sense.

Conclusion

Is TBATE good? Yeah it's worth a read. It's definitely one of the better dungeon crawler-y isekais I've read and it cuts out a lot of the bullshit that other isekais would poorly pile on. It's no masterpiece in comparison to other stories and it's far from original. The author seems like he's super talented though so I'm interested to see what he does next after this.

6.5/10 story

SulcataTortoise Aug 15, 2021

I hope that you keep reading the series up to a certain point because clearly you don't know what happens in the web novel. The manwha is approaching a pretty critical part that really changes the direction of the story and sets this series aside as one of the greats

DefnotaWeeb Jun 19, 2021

You are wrong in the part with the isekai elements. In the story it explains what kings were in his world and you are just acting like that did not happen looking at it with what kings are outside of that world. Saying that is not how monarchies work shows that you payed no attention at all while reading. Also he does have a intrest in poltics he is just not looking to become poltically powerful except to protect his family and people he cares about and instead of using poltics right now he is trying to become strong enough to defend them. Also he is in a way being poltical by becoming tied to strong people and making deals and agrement for certain things. Also the reason he shows them how to make a steam engine when he came from such a advandced civilaztion is because he did not want to fast foward the worlds progress too much and he was worrying about the dangers of bringing certain technology's in. I do agree on the things about the culture and slightly on the world overall I personally don't think having the basic fantasy setting is bad thing if the author uses it correctly. I think you do have some resonable critisms to it but I think some of the things you are insulting are just due to your own negligance and personal taste.