matrixen's avatar

• Joined Feb 7, 2019
  • 19

The Faraway Paladin

Jan 10, 2022

I really wasn't expecting Faraway Paladin to be as good as it was. I went in expecting just your average isekai, but left with great expectations for a second season, which will develop the story further. This season was more of a "getting you acquainted with the leading characters/the fantasy world/how it works" type thing.

• Very pleasantly surprised with this one! Finally, an isekai protagonist with great development! (it's just rare for isekai protagonists to have such good dev. if you take isekai anime as a whole) I loved how Will wasn't just some isekai mc that gained his abilities out of nowhere (or had some 'chosen one' bs), whatever he gained, he did so with nothing but his own hard work. I won't spoil too much about how he developed, but the show follows him from him as a child through his maturity into young adulthood / "teenagehood" so the way he matures and develops can be seen throughout this time especially.
  • Will is a very likable main character, as is the leading secondary character, he developed amazingly as well in only 12 episodes. I also love how righteous and commendable the mc is, he actually has a good and respectable reason to fight/do what he does. GOD WHY CAN'T WE HAVE MORE NON-TRASHY MALE ISEKAI/FANTASY/SHOUNEN PROTAGONISTS LIKE HIM?

• Though the story is a bit slow-moving at times, for the most part it sucks your attention in and makes you feel like a 20 something minute episode was actually 5 minutes because it made you so invested in what was occurring. I definitely wish there was more action, though, would love it if the show had more of that.
  • Points for less fanservice (there is like one fanservicy moment in the show and it doesn't take away from the plot) I like how this show is more serious in that regard, I have no issue with fanservice alone but sadly adding much of it into a show often makes the show seem less serious and takes away from it. I know everyone is different, I just personally enjoy more serious shows most of the time.

• The OP / ED songs didn't pop out to me as much but they still sounded great, I enjoyed listening to them. I usually don't skip the OP song as long as it sounds good and Faraway Paladin's music passed the vibe check. The action sounds/special effect sounds and voice actors sounded great as well, no annoying voices.

• As expected of an anime released in 2022, the animation is splendid. I really love the look of modern animes, especially the ones being released more recently. The animation just keeps getting better and better (well, 2D animation, cause most 3D Japanese anime unfortunately suck for now).

All in all, I highly recommend this for those who love fantasy animes, isekai, shounen, and protagonists that are well developed and don't pull shit out of their ass.

- Xen