mangaislife's avatar

• Joined Oct 19, 2010
  • ?

Beast Master

Dec 18, 2010

I'm a Kyousuke Motomi fan. His writing is excellent, his art is spectacular and his characters are, for the most parts, phenomenal. However, Beast Master isn't the example of this.

Beast Master IS pure fun. Through out the entire manga, I was having a good time. It's not inspirational, it's not powerful, it's not at all memorable and the romance isn't very heartwarming. But it's enjoyable.

First of all, I consider to most important part of a manga to be its characters. Characters trump over everything, even plot. Beast Master features your typical animal-loving-but-hated-by-animals female protagonist and a wild animal-like love interest. Needless to say, the love interest is the more interesting out of the two, although the main protagonist's personality saves her from being too much of a stock character. The supporting cast, unfortunately, is throwaway. The love interest is actually the most memorable thing about this manga.

The plot itself feels really, really rushed and I'm not just saying that because of how short the series was; I LOVE short manga sometimes. But it felt like Kyousuke Motomi got an idea and then ran out of enthusiasm for it and wrapped it up neatly, conveniently and as quickly as possible. I love Kyousuke Motomi's style of pacing, but this manga was just balanced poorly.

The art, as is expected, was top notch. The funny bits were funny, the dramatic bits were dramatic and the writing didn't really add to that so much as the art.

As a matter of fact, I found the writing to be quite creepy at times, but maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

I liked the ending, because it was an adequate conclusion to a satisfying story. It's a fun read and I actually thought the fights were the most enjoyable parts, odd for a shoujo. The art REALLY added there. Don't look for too much in this, but if you just need characters to love for a little bit, read it.