I'm a curator of isekai manhwas / mangas. My favorite genre previously was isekai, but shifted my focus to otome isekai / villainess isekai content. If you're here, you've probably found one of my reviews - thank you!
My goal is to finish my 369 and counting list of otome isekai manhwas and create a review for each of them. I want people to know whether they'll be in for a good time or not so they can skip ahead to the good ones out there. If my review helped you in the slightest, I'm already happy.
I'll eventually update this with a list of my recommended manhwas but for now, you can go to my lists to check out my full list!
Everything I've read and reviewed!
✨ BY RATING ✨
Favorites | These are my all-time favorite ones and I love absolutely everything here - from plot, to world-building, to characters! These are highkey recommendations of manhwas that I think are exemplary for their genre.
Guilty Faves | Works that I love but aren't perfect. Not everyone would love this as much as I do, but I enjoy them all the same! Some of these have tropes, characters, or themes that only I enjoy.
Silver Medal | These are sound when it comes to story-telling, artwork, or character development but they don't stand out as much as those in my first two lists. If it didn't give me the ZIIIING of feeling, but I also have no big complaints - the work goes here.
Lukewarm | It's okay!!! Sometimes the pacing is a little weird or the plot a little too convenient (hello plot armor?). I gave this three stars because I actually finished it and will read the updates. They're not necessarily bad, just need a bit of a rework to improve its quality.
🌸 BY THEME 🌸
Otome Isekai Mangas That Are Genre Defining
- Mangas that clearly influenced the genre and have inspired multiple copies of its characters, story or design - but none can even come close to these OGs.
- Plot, story, art style, and characters are so well executed that you'll be surprised to see how well thought out everything is.
Otome Isekai Popular Works
- These are usually the top tier manhwas that people recommend others to read.
- Manhwas that are clearly the most beloved by the r/otomeisekai subreddit OR have gained a lot of popularity over its run-time for a myriad of reasons.
Otome isekais with a wholesome family relationship
- The focus of these stories is the relationships between the child and their parental figures, who are either absurdly hot or ridiculously funny.
- Not necessarily just a dad / daughter but could be for any family relationship.
- As much as possible their relationship should be wholesome and they either dote on their kid or want to save them from a bad end.
otome isekais with a wholesome father/daughter relationship + the father is hot enough to boil water
- Please more dads
otome isekais with the most wholesome relationships
- The most wholesome relationships only! These relationships are so perfect they could be written as the unrealistic, unattainable standard.
- Both people listen to each other and genuinely care about each other, respect each other's decisions and support the other person's endeavours.
- Not always romantic relationships - could also be between friends!
otome isekais with unique stories
- Unique stories are those that make use of conventional genre stereotypes and tropes but add a twist to them!
- It can be through any element - character, world-building, artstyle, conflict - but it needs to be something that makes it stand out from its peers.
- It must be refreshing and make you feel like OOOOH THIS IS GOOD I'VE NEVER SEEN THIS BEFORE
🥐 BY TROPE 🥐
Contractual Marriage, Baby!!
- Villainesses that decide they won't pursue their original engagement to their fiance but their fiance ends up falling for them more
- Arranged marriages where both parties don't want the marriage and they subtly work against the union but end up falling in love
- Characters get fake married with the condition to achieve their goals but they end up falling in love with each other
demon lord aka the superior male lead
- You know demon lords are attractive
- Even more so when they're the male lead
female leads who are sick
- idk why we're getting more than one but damn, the number of terminally ill FLs are increasing
- someone get them a doctor please!! (the ML will suffice for now)
the power of crust compels you
- good thing these FLs can cook because it saved their life
- idk why in isekai worlds nobody can cook good food but that's to the benefit of these MCs
the male lead falls in love first
- nothing like seeing a man love a woman wholeheartedly and only with the best intentions for her
- subvert the norms of the romance genre!! normalize MLs falling head over heels for the FL before she even thinks about it
otome isekai but it's a guy who gets isekai-d
- men deserve to get isekai-d and fall in love too within the settings of a novel!!
- these men aren't always the summoned "hero" which is typical of the isekai genre
otome isekais where the male lead is cursed
- Cursed can mean having an alternative 'monstrous' appearance
- Transforming to a monster due to a set of conditions
- Limited or shunned by society due to their features or 'curse'
otome isekais with animal FLs
- the FL isn't a human for a good percent of this manhwa
- does this make you / us a furry?
otome isekais with yanderes but it's a scam
- False advertising because the yanderes never turn out to be yanderes, just overly possessive boys who are deeply in love with the FL
otome isekai villainess needs to lose weight
- Idk why this is a trend but it is. I don't condone this and only some manhwas in this list are actually good!
- All manga includes a villainess portrayed to be 'overweight' and her journey to become a 'good' skinny villainess.
- Sometimes, they lose weight to escape their fate or to change the flow of the story.
otome isekai villainess starts a business
- Capitalism is the one true answer to a happy ending. Capitalism will save them all.
- This list features villainesses and characters who sell goods or network with other nobles to acquire power to save themselves from a bad ending.
- This also includes manhwas where they increase the strength of their kingdom / domain through trade and commerce, despite it not being the main plot point.
otome isekai with the villainess creating / cooking food to survive
- These FLs can compete in MasterChef because their food is revolutionary enough to change their fate.
- This is the otome isekai version of Shokugeki no Soma.
possessive male leads and i'm super into them
- I have a type and I'm nOT AFRAID TO ADMIT IT!!!
- they are pretty hot tho, no judgement
romance stories that makes you wish it was your relationship instead
- sometimes we can only find true joy with 2D men
💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡 RECOMMENDATIONS 💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡
If there's a manhwa / manga that you think belongs in any of these lists, please let me know!
I'd love to read more and hear your opinion on them while increasing the number of good manhwas people can read.
💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡 RECOMMENDATIONS 💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡💡