kyozaii's avatar

• Joined Jul 16, 2019
  • ? / F

Backflip!!

Oct 11, 2021

Finally got a chance to finish this anime after starting it months ago and I'm not disappointed at all. Recent sports animes have been kind of a letdown, but 'Backflip!!' was pretty consistent and well done from beginning to end.

The characters (on the main team) are all likable and some of them got very subtle character development (the coach & Misato most notably). Backflip!! has qualities other sports anime has, but the focus on its characters and the sport itself was done in such a pleasant way. I can't explain it, but I guess it's because they didn't force-feed us any information. Instead, everything was executed meticulously, from each of the character's personalities & dynamics to the main point of the story.

The animation was really good; usually, I don't expect much when CGI is involved, but this was an exception. The final performances were amazing; I got a bit teary-eyed.

Overall, it was such a pleasant anime, and you'll never hear me say 'pleasant' when reviewing any sports anime because the ones I have seen either made me question my entire existence or depressed for days, if not weeks. So yes, I would highly recommend this anime, especially if you're a newbie to sports anime.

8.5/10 animation