kyozaii's avatar

kyozaii

• Joined Jul 16, 2019
  • ? / F

I've come to the conclusion that no one will ever be able to adapt Junji Ito's work as well as the source material. He's one of THE best Japanese horror manga artist and rightly so. And to this day, the adaptations we've gotten so far all lack what the source material gives us... suspense, that chill down your spine when turning to the next page, the grotesque graphics that are utterly disturbing and creepy but done in such a way, it's brilliant...

The anime adaptations fail to deliver the feeling you get when you sit down with the manga... there's no tension, no ambiance to really relay the gut-wrenching horror that Ito provides for us in his work. His stories are mostly short and have abrupt endings, but they can be interpreted in different ways, the art itself is incredibly detailed and expressive it makes you uncomfortable (that's a good thing)... this is something the anime has failed to accomplish.

Some of the episodes were okay and just OKAY, but overall there was a lack of creativity and tension, and the animation was terrible, Studio Deen didn't even try.

Would not recommend... instead, go read the source material.

You must be logged in to leave comments. or

thegirlontheclouds Mar 24, 2023

well, we've got to wait for that uzumaki adaptation 🤷