krxolxn's avatar

• South Africa
  • Joined Oct 21, 2019

Akira

Apr 7, 2021

Totally not what I expected, right off the bat I thought it was going to be about two motorcycle gangs fighting a turf was but no! They got me hook, line and sinker! It was unique, unorthodox and click baited me into submission.

Honestly Akira could compete on equal footing with some of the newer anime out there, regardless of the art style, which is really impressive all things considered, the mouthing of the words were so accurate its almost impossible to get a dub decent dub made for it. I’m sure if 4kids was still around they’d still attempt it, I can just imagine the censoring.

The war cry, almost sounds african inspired, which should be the farthest thing from Japanese fits so well its awe-inspiring, the sound overall for the show is good. Its isn’t anything to write home about but the one thing I will give high praise for is the voice acting.

Some of the characters gave me a GOH and Bleach vibe which was interesting, most of the characters where very flat or killed off before the had any character development in my opinion.

Overall it is a good watch, I watched the movie in the course of 2 days as it was a little slow paced in the beginning that I couldn’t finish it the same day, I would recommend it to you if you want something to watch from the 80’s.