kkimczyra's avatar

• Joined Oct 19, 2021
  • 23

DARLING in the FRANXX

Nov 25, 2021

The idea of a dystopian future where humanity is abandoned looks appealing to me. Children are artificial creations called parasites that are raised for the sole purpose of piloting Franxx, paired with a boy and a girl who synchronize with each other to defeat Klaxosaurs, and also for the need to protect Papa. Although I was definitely embarrassed by the number of sexual innuendos throughout the manga. Despite that, it has endearing and intriguing back stories for every character, especially Hiro and Zero Two. Even though I despise Dr. Farnxx, his backstory helps me understand the state of the Earth from the past to the present. Also, we get to know Princess Klaxosaurs' story and that she wasn't the villain. I'm still sad about her death. She just wanted to save her planet and seek revenge from humans for their abuse of her kind.

Despite its sci-fi and mecha themes, I think the most significant feature is its focus on human emotions and how they understand them. Since none of the children had received any education in dealing with emotions, they had to figure it out on their own. So it's such a lovely feeling that they learn more about love, life, and friendship as the story continues, and at the end, they finally know what it really means to be human. From beginning to end, Hiro and Zero Two's relationship was raw and deep. Even though they were separated, their feelings remained constant. Can you find a Hiro who was willing to give up his humanity for Zero Two, who desperately wanted to be a human for him? Ikuno's struggle with her sexuality was also presented delicately. It was great that she was supported and accepted for who she is and that she felt safe. I'd want to believe that the soft rejection indicates that she is valid and that there is nothing wrong with her. I really love how her character as well as her story are written.

I first watched the anime prior to reading the manga. I was really surprised that they had different endings. The manga has many more interpersonal relationships and character development than the anime. For example, the Nines were given their own mini-arc that shows how each of the Nines genuinely cared about each other's lives and well-being, rather than merely pestering Zero Two. It also conveyed some of Futoshi's inner thoughts, as well as his genuine concern for Kokoro. Mitsuru and Kokoro have genuine feelings for each other, and their relationship is more wholesome even without the wedding scene. Also, Zorome and Miku's relationship remained ambigous both in the manga and anime. Nonetheless, I loved seeing their interactions. Finally, Ichigo is seen in the manga in a much more positive way, and she isn't just behaving out of jealously. However, it is unclear if Ichigo and Goro ended up together in the manga.

VIRM is the real main antagonist in this manga. However, they are indestructible, so they cannot die. Despite this, Squad 13 and the Nines eventually defeated them. But, VIRM wasn't completely eradicated since they returned once more at the apex of evolution. Personally, I felt the ending was rushed and left us with many unanswered questions. Yet the manga chose to not tell us and leave us with a happy ending.