kilrazan's avatar

kilrazan

• Joined Jan 11, 2019

Scarlet (Chiri YUINO)

Nov 24, 2021

A surprisingly interesting, but woefully short tale. I don't know if it was cut short somehow, or if it was always intended to be that length, but it felt like there was supposed to be a lot more to it that didn't end up happening.

Story - We follow our two Main Characters as they do their duty to hunt down those in posession of "Elixir", a dangerous substance that will turn the user into a feral bloodthirsty beast. Unbeknownst to the organization they work for, one of the main characters is already under the effects of Elixir and only manages to keep her urges at bay by feeding on the other main character. A grand world is set up wherein we see hints of a greater scope with Witches and Werewolves and an organization with a dark history, but unfortunately as I mentioned earlier, the story just kind of stops on a "We'll keep going on together forever!" kind of note. It's upsetting to see something that felt engaging just suddenly stop like this with so many questions unanswered, but even so, I did enjoy the amount that was shown. 7/10; Would've been much better if it had more chapters to work with.

Art - The work channels Dark Fantasy vibes very well in its art, and there's definitely a lot of Berserk influence to be found here. It's far from perfect, and the character designs are all a bit flat in my opinion, but overall it's pleasing. 7/10; Perfectly serviceable.

Characters - With so few chapters to work with, they certainly packed a lot of characterization into the main characters and a couple of side characters. I'm honestly impressed at how well they managed to make these characters interesting in such a small number of panels. Despite this, there's a significant amount of development that was hinted at that just never came to fruition due to the short length. 7/10; I love the dynamic between the 2 Main Characters.

Overall - A thoroughly enjoyable work that I definitely recommend. However, it's certainly been hamstrung by how few chapters it managed to run. There is a much grander and more interesting story locked away in here that never got to see light of day. 7/10; It needed to be at least 3 times as long to be truly satisfying.