killermouze's avatar

Nabari no Ou

Nov 8, 2010

Brief Review (might do a more detailed one later):

Overview:

As you might expect, the anime's basic premise sounds like any other "power-up" anime. However, this turns out to be far from the truth; but not necessarily in a good way...

This anime is more about the relationships and forced drama between 5 or 6 characters. However, nothing is explained very well, and you suddenly have a main character who is basically in love with some phychopath killer for some poorly flushed out reason. I can't tell you why, because this anime is so unclear and vague.

The Good:

I guess this anime has some orginality to it. It is sometimes hard to predict whats going to happen next, but I feel like that is more because you can't figure out what the hell is actually going on.

I like the character designs, and I'm happy that the characters feel much more human then in most anime in this genre. They have flaws, and few are completely good or evil.

The Bad:

My biggest problem with this anime is clarity. Maybe I'm just not into the whole subtle drama thing, but I was having trouble following everything that was going on. Looking for some scrolls? Kid has some wierd powers that he needs to control but no one explains how or why or wtf?

So the biggest problem is that nothing is explained, and everything is so random. People have said it is hard to figure out what is going to happen next. Yes that is true, but only because Nabari no Ou is so damn random, it just pulls whatever ideas and plot elements out of thin air to meet is purpose.

Another disappointing point is that the rommance stuff got a little wierd. Are they gay or not? Whats up with no guys trying to get with the hot ass sword swinging blond that no one seems to care about?

Lastly, and most disappointing for me was that I expected the main character's powers to slowly awaken, and him slowly to gain control over them. At episode 17, there has been no growth there, and 2 examples of him using his powers. I wasn't looking for some bleach/dbz powerup anime, but I wanted a little something...

Sum it up:

I tried so hard to like this anime. I think this is obvious that I got to episode 17 without dropping it. However, I just couldn't handle it anymore. The episodes 13-15ish were the only episodes I found decent (involving the assult on the school) but it took a turn for the worse very soon after, and I couldn't handle it anymore

So much potential... shot.

If your into boy love or what not, maybe.

If your into buckets of nonsensical and confusing plot, maybe.

If you just want to see some average characterization, maybe.

Thats about all I can recommend this for.

7.5/10 characters

You must be logged in to leave comments. or

Carnificus Apr 9, 2011

I didn't really find it confusing, but I agree with a lot of what you've said here. It sets itself up as an action anime, and it turns into a straight drama. And I don't care nor am I entirely comfortable with the whole relationship between the two main guys.