interregnum's avatar

• Joined Aug 23, 2016
  • ? / M

Girlish Number

Jan 5, 2017

An utterly watchable, wholly enjoyable, eminently forgettable show that relies almost exclusively on the assumption that you want to watch its heroine discover exactly how far arrogance and a pretty face can get you in anime.

Which, coincidentally, seems to also be the aesthetic of the show itself: it looks great, assures you it’s good, and…that’s about it. There’s no great thematic thread or character exploration or insight. It’s just a cute girl finding out how far self-assured cuteness can take her. And if, for some unfathomable reason, you don’t like her (or don’t like laughing at her, really)…uh…pretend it’s a meta-critique of cutesy anime that has no depth beyond its cutesiness? I guess?

Look, I liked Girlish Number. I’d watch a second season of Girlish Number. Heck, I’d happily buy the Blu-Ray/DVD combo-pack of Girlish Number, at retail price, and I’d even drive to the store to do it. But my compulsively obligatory bedtime routine of clutching a pillow and watching comfort anime doesn’t excuse the fact that, over the show’s 12 episodes, there is only ever one thread of real character depth (Gojo’s professional history)—and it is used so sparingly and so late in the game that it may as well have been put there by accident.

Ultimately, Girlish Number is a series that you can literally judge by its cover. No, seriously. Go look at it. Whatever your reaction, it’ll give you exactly that for 12 episodes.

That said, the heroine’s kinda cute, so…it does have that going for it.