idcidc's avatar

• Joined May 10, 2021
  • 21

Kakegurui

Jul 22, 2021

Okay, so I haven't watched season two yet, but I would like to review the first season. I get all of the criticism, those are very valid points, and I agree with some of them.
Yes, there is no real story. It appears to be all about gambling. And it is. I know people are trying to find a deep message or something, but there simply isn't. Usually, that is a no-go for me, however, I think this anime must be viewed as superficial, refreshing entertainment to take a break from deeper stuff. I think it is pretty entertaining after all. I considered the gambling parts to be very interesting and thrilling. Somehow, the show created the effect of addiction, at least for me. The anime felt like an addiction to gambling and I think that's a really good point. I also think the story is not as bad as everyone says. And yes, there are many disturbing parts, so if you're not into that, don't even bother watching this. I totally get why people don't like this. I think it's an anime that only a small audience would enjoy that much.
I don't think it is overhyped though. It's exactly what I said. The gambling effects and the addiction stuff are very exciting and create a lot of suspense. The characters are so weird, it makes them even more interesting. Yes, most of them are flat. But I mean, as I have mentioned before, this anime is not meant to be deep, and it makes this anime really good for its genre then. The animation, characters, and everything visual here is extremely well done, I really enjoyed that! The sound is just as good, the voice actors are amazing and I also like the soundtrack, especially the opening.
What I didn't like that much was all the fan-servicey stuff. I don't think it's necessary...
I can recommend this to people who want to watch something suspenseful, without having to think much, just enjoying what's going on and being engrossed in all the gambling. If you like psychotic characters, this is also really good, because all of these characters need a therapist. This anime can definitely be called a psychological anime, so if you're into that, go ahead and watch it right now!!! Nice visuals, nice sound, exciting gambling, cool crazy characters, engaging, and can be binge-watched easily without having to think much. I understand the hype and I enjoyed it even though it is far from perfect. I'm excited to watch the second season now!

8.8/10 overall