haize78's avatar

• Joined Nov 6, 2014
  • ?

The Perfect Insider

Jan 17, 2016

I'm slightly conflicted about this anime. I stand by the opinion I gathered while watching it that it isn't remarkable at all and quite boring at times. It's a murder mystery anime with loads of philosophical bullshit that they intend to pass on as meaningful and profound. And there's also a smidge of love story thrown in as a bonus.

As for the story, I'm not much impressed by it. The pacing is painstakingly slow. It's a murder mystery, as I said. So we've got our two main protagonists that, after discovering the body of an eminent researcher, decide to act as investigators and start gathering clues to solve the mystery because they are so much more intelligent than the police could ever hope to be. For the most part, it's incredibly repetitive: they summarise all the information they've got after every new clue they find uncountable times, which is annoying to say the least. But what I found most annoying of all is, on the one hand, all the unjustified hype they put on the psuedo-philosophical crap that is the setting against which the crime was carried out; and on the other hand, on the super-intelligence of the two main protagonists in understanding what is going on and identifying the perpetrator and their motives. Really over-rated, in my opinion. The love story gets hinted at during all the anime, and then in the last episode you get a little bit more of an insight into it. It's not exactly a love story, more like the description of the relationship between the two main characters that is, incidentally, of a romantic nature. And this part is more well-executed and believable, in my opinion.

The characters. Shiki Magata, the genius researcher who is murdered and who spouts out all the philosophical bullshit - mah. If you overlook all the meaningless philosophical stuff, I don't know that much of a character is left. As for Saikawa-sensei and Moe, the laid-back, apathetic  teacher and the spoilt poor little rich brat who lost her parents, they are better portrayed. I'd say there is next to no development, but as the detective story progresses you kind of get to understand better the relationship between the two. I must admit that I found Moe incredibly annoying, irritating and childish - which I guess is better than indifference. And I couldn't for the life of me comprehend why a university teacher should even begin to feel attracted to her. But she does somewhat redeem herself in the last episode. Saikawa-sensei's personality is similarly well depicted but it similarly doesn't develop at all.

As for animation and sound, they're both decent.

Overall and in conclusion, I'm not overly impressed by this anime. Pretentious, would be a correct definition of it, in my opinion. For me, it was mostly a waste of time.

5.5/10 characters
5.5/10 overall

You must be logged in to leave comments. or

onecookie Nov 2, 2018

Yes. You summed it up perfectly.