greg975's avatar

• Miquelon
  • Joined Mar 6, 2010

Our Home's Fox Deity

Feb 5, 2011

Not much is going on in this anime, the summary has almost all you need to know about the plot. This show is more about different small stories centered around a character or group (Mubyou, Shiro...).

I was pleasently surprised to see myself caring about Shiro and touched by the "ending" (not of the actual anime but of the the plot centered around her).

Much of this show is from Shinto yet, as I know nothing of this religion, I couldn't really get the references. I thought of it more as a tool to cement everything and everyone together and create an "environment" as a whole; it never felt like something important to drive the plot forward.

As for the comedy part, it was nothing to be remembered. I hardly laughed at any moment of the anime. Kou destroying the dishes was probably meant as a running gag but it never felt like a joke to begin with. It doesn't mean you won't laugh, maybe it was just not my kind of humour, to one his own of course but I believe most people won't laugh out loud often with Wagaya no Oinari-sama.

Animation:

Nothing particular to say about it, it's decent. I increased my rating a bit as I especially liked the character design for non-human ones.

Sound:

Again something this anime won't be praised about, it's correct but nothing really caught my attention except Mubyou and Kuugen's voice acting, I enjoyed it, especially when they're begging. Rie Kugimiya is better doing Kagura but she did a good job (but too short unfortunately) with Shiro anyway.

The two opening and endings were nice but as for the rest of the soundtrack, it doesn't really bring much to the actual scenes in the anime.

Toru and Noboru are boring as main characters, I thought they were very bland. As for the animation, it's again to the non-human characters you have to turn to to find the best (although Kou isn't bad actually, her clumsiness made her pretty cute at times). Kuugen was really likable with hermischievious personality, Mubyou also had something to make her enjoyable although it's harder to pinpoint what and Shiro was definitively one of the cutest character I know while carrying the best fights in the series.

Overall:

While I cannot say it's the best anime I've ever watched, it was still enjoyable overall. Unlike those series you just can't wait to be over with, Wagaya no Oinari-sama made me want to come back for more. If a second season were to be aired I would surely watch it, not for its humour but for what is worth as a whole. I would like to see Kuugen, mubyou and Kou again but most of all, I'd love to see Shiro again.