gekoladie's avatar

gekoladie

• England
  • Joined Apr 12, 2011

Although it is by no means the greatest anime ever, I have to pay homage to Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters as the anime that got me into anime. It's up there with Sailor Moon, although it came slightly later. I can remember watching badly dubbed episodes of Sailor Moon as a very small child, which eventually drew me back to anime as a teenager, but it was Yu-Gi-Oh! that was on pretty much constantly between the ages of 6 and 12, by which time I had turned off the kiddie channels it played on. I watched them all as a kid; Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Avatar: The Last Airbender (though technically not anime), Sailor Moon. If it was on Cartoon Network, Boomerang or Jetix, I watched it. And the score was boosted by two just for Yugi's hair.

The reason I have rated Yu-Gi-Oh! so highly is because I can't not like it. Although it is extremely generic, every single episode is pretty lame, and it's a show about a children's trading card game with added evil spirits from Ancient Egypt, I found the plot compelling at the time. I was never a trading card fan and I never owned my own deck, but I loved the anime passionately. I must have watched the series at least five times over. The tales of friendship and loyalty stuck with me to this day, and although it is incredibly cheesy to admit, I still watch it sometimes. I even tried watching Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal recently, but I can't bare the raping of the franchise any more.

Of course, half the 'modern' allure to Yu-Gi-Oh! is from LittleKuriboh's fantastic Yu-Gi-Oh! Abridged, possibly my favourite thing to grace the internet since it's creation. If you haven't seen it, go watch it now. Of course, it was great to realise that I wasn't the only person over the age of eight who likes Yu-Gi-Oh!

Kuichio Jun 9, 2017

Hey, gekoladie. Just wanted to let you know... I agree with everything you said. I just watched the first 97 episodes on netflix. I really didn't notice how many episodes a single duel spanned when I was little. Now I'm about to be 21, and... Yeah, I agree completely. I can't not like it. I liked what they did with GX as well, but I need to the series to really judge it. 5Ds took it too far in my opinion, but it still looked really good. I guess Zexal is just the continuation of that super-future time line, but it just looks too bad. When every character has hair like Yugi, it just looks bad. I think I'll watch Yu-Gi-Oh abridged if it's anything like DBZ abridged. Thanks for turning me on to it, gekoladie! Have a good one!