galacticdude7's avatar

• Joined May 26, 2009

Hand Maid May

Nov 29, 2009

-Story-

I found the plot of Hand Maid May to be interesting, yet it seemed to be on shakey ground and somewhat predictable. The plot itself is broken down into two main story arcs, one when May was a small Cyber-doll, and one when May was a life sized Cyber-Doll. I found that this split made it feel like I was watching two different Animes and it gave me two conclusions, and two climaxes. After the 5th episode it felt like the anime should have ended, but it continued on. At first I thought it was going to be like the Melancoly of Haruhi Suzumiya, and offer me some lighthearted and fun episodes which could be watched and enjoyed for their stand alone story, but it turned out to be another short story arc. Plus I feel the two plot arcs make it feel like the anime is rushed and makes you feel like you're missing something. However I found Hand Maid May to have a heartwarming story line which showed love, emotions, and cherished memories. Also the fanservice in Hand Maid May was there, but it was not overwhelming or in complete control of the plot. This story also provides great moments of suspense and makes you want to see what happens next.

-Animation-

The animation was ok, but nothing to make a fuss over. I found it to be kind of bland and didn't show much in the backgrounds. Also it looked like at times that the characters didn't show a whole lot of emotion, and at other times too much. The character designs were somewhat original, but felt like I had seen them before.

-Characters-

There where a couple of characters in which I found extremely annoying, like Mami and Nanbara. Other characters didn't really develop much like Rena. The only characters which showed any character development was May, Saotome, and Kasumi, which did have some excellent character development which added to the story greatly. I found most of the characters unneccasary to the plot, and really only the main three (May, Saotome, and Kasumi) where actually critical to the story line itself.

-Overall-

Hand Maid May is a good anime and it is one that I think deserves at least one look. The re-watch value is limited however. If you are looking for a good anime to watch, Hand Maid May is a good choice, but if you want to watch a great anime, then skip it and watch something else. Its a good anime but not a great one.

7.5/10 story