findingroses's avatar

• Australia
  • Joined Sep 20, 2016

Kiss Him, Not Me

Nov 11, 2016

I found this anime very funny, relatable and entertaining, but I am surprised that none of the previous reviews have mentioned anything bad about it.

That is not to say that this is a bad anime. This anime follows the life of fujoshi Kae Serinuma who is more than happy watching the boys around her interact with each other rather than getting involved in a romantic relationship herself. Her love for the various 'ships' that she has created within her school is very funny. In the first episode, Serinuma is overweight, however when one of her favourite anime characters dies, she dissapears from school only to return some time later; slim and beautiful. While this was very comical, and most can relate to the utter loss she feels at the death of her favourite character, I found that the fact she only became a love interest (to some of the characters) after this transformation was somewhat disappointing. Now, I know that the characters reflect back and see their naivety, but I'm sure there will be viewers who get angry at the beginning of the series, and won't watch through until this happens. The characters slowly reflect on what it is that they like about her, that is to say other than her looks, which is good, but how she is portrayed when she is overweight vs. how she is portrayed when she is slim may make some people uncomfortable.

Please don't begrudge me for writing this, it is just an opinion, and I just think that there are some people that will base their views of this anime soley on the fact that it suggests 'only skinny people can be attractive'. I enjoyed this anime regardless of this implication, but some people won't.

Overall, this anime is undoubtable very funny and I enjoyed it, despite the cringe-worthy moments (so much second-hand embarrassment!) and loved learning about each of the characters, their motivations and backstories.

You must be logged in to leave comments. or

Ritzerk Jul 8, 2022

As a fan of this anime, I agree with what is said in this review. I would add though, that any reasonable person should already know that people are not represented only by their looks. The reason why I'm not that dissapointed about the whole fat slim plot is because these are actually high school kids, and part of learning about life is finding out that we shouldn't judge a book by its cover, which this show does represent, and its perfectly good to learn that in adolescence. In my eyes the characters and story is therefore okay, and its not worth missing out on the great laughs throughout the show because of this, but appreciate it being mentioned here.

Just one thing, I always base my reviews on what is the average of the 4 scores for story, animation, sound and characters. It doesn't make sense we are left with 6.5 overall with an 8 and 7 for the categories.

GodDamnWeeaboos Nov 5, 2017

That was EXACTLY why I stopped watching after the first episode. The whole "skinny = beautiful" vibe made me think that this anime was going to be full of similar stereotypes/cliches, but your review has made me want to pick it up again. If the "girl turns beautiful after losing weight" theme is the worst thing about it, I think I can look past that and enjoy the show.