duchessliz's avatar

• Joined Jan 5, 2012
  • ? / F

Yona of the Dawn

Mar 28, 2015

What would you do if you lost everything due to the actions of the one you thought you loved most? Akatsuki no Yona is an anime about a princess named Yona who has lived a very sheltered life and who suddenly has her world completely ripped asunder when the man she believed herself in love with, Soo Won, assassinates her father, forcing her to flee the castle with her childhood friend and protecter Son Hak.

While running for their lives the two stumble upon a priest who tells Yona that if she and Hak want to survive they must track down the four dragons of legend to protect them. See, the kingdom of Kouka was originally founded more than 1000 years before by the legendary King Hiryuu who was said to have been a dragon who descended from the skies and fell in love with humans ... becoming human himself. He was said to have been so loved by the other dragons that four others granted four humans their powers and charged them with protecting the king. The king was eventually betrayed by the humans that he had come to love and he was killed. The four dragons scattered throughout the kingdom and over time many began to think of the legend as not more than a story of fiction. Yona and Hak set out to find these dragons and that is where the story really begins.

What I truly love about this anime is the character development. Each character (save Zeno who shows up in the last episode) is masterfully built and you can't help but feel for them. Even Soo Won. I wanted to hate him ... I really did ... but you come to learn that he had an actual reason for doing what he did. And he struggled with his decision, it hadn't been easy for him to choose to do what he did. But now he has to suffer with the consequences of his actions ... and that made me really sad for him.

With it's addicting plot, beautiful animation, gorgeous soundtrack, and fantastic character development is it any wonder that this anime became my favorite? No, really, it's my favorite anime now ... that's how much I love it! I really hope they do another season of the anime because the manga gets even better from here! I highly recommend Akatsuki no Yona!

9.3/10 overall