duchessliz's avatar

• Joined Jan 5, 2012
  • ? / F

A Lull in the Sea

Jan 15, 2015

Long ago, all humans lived in the ocean. But some who longed for the land abandoned the ocean, casting off the special raiments granted to them by the sea god to adapt them to life under the sea... Though mankind was divided into sea dwellers and land dwellers, each with different ways of thinking, they were all still fellow humans, and they continued to maintain contact as time went on.

Due to the closure of their school four young teenagers from under the sea are sent to attend school on land. Sakishima Hikari, Mukaido Manaka, Hiradaira Chisaki, and Isaki Kaname live in an undersea village, while Kihara Tsumugu lives on land. As these middle school second years meet for the first time they attempt to understand one another and their differences as they try to get along. When things in the sea suddenly start to change the four teens relationships begin to change in the wake of what is to come ... The youthful fantasy tale of these young people's lives unfolds in a strange and beautiful world.

As a P.A Works production I simply knew it was going to be beautiful. . .and it was! Breathtakingly gorgeous animation that often made me pause watching just to admire the beauty of it! The soundtrack was also incredible! I absolutely LOVED the music choices! And the VA's did an amazing job! The plot was also very unique and not at all what I expected when I went into this ... I was thinking mermaids or some such shit but, I got something completely different and was pleasantly surprised at how well it was carrried out! I've never really dealt with drama well so I was kind of turned off by that but I still loved how things were put together. I even got teary eyed several times! The characters were amazingly well done with each character growing before you as the anime progressed. As they struggle with their feelings and what's going on in their lives you watch them fully develop right before your eyes.

Overall I started this anime because it was by P.A Works and I adore their animation, but in the end I completely fell in love, not just with the animation but with the whole package! Nagi no Asukara was a wonderful surprise! Very glad I watched it!

You must be logged in to leave comments. or