doux's avatar

Sonny Boy

Nov 23, 2021

Anime Review #20 - Sonny Boy

(some spoilers ahead!)

I'm giving this show an amibiguous 3.5 stars because I'm not really sure how i feel about it lol. I understand that the show isn't meant to "make sense" and that it's all very symoblic and surreal, but it was a whirlwind trying to decipher what each episode was "about". To watch this show, you kind of just have to go in understanding that you can't really predict what is going to happen. A lot of things go unanswered and are up to our interpretation, but i like having closure lol. The twinky kid with the star on his cheek was so interesting in the first few episodes but then he just stopped being in the episodes lol. He said, "bye guys we're gonna go fly away in a giant cube and disappear in this odd dimensional space forever!" That was odd to me. I kind of wanted to see their perspective but instead we just saw Nagara and Mizuho with some Asakaze and Ms. Aki side plot. (Ms. Booby lady teacher is still an enigma to me i don't undesrtand if she was really the teacher or another student dressed as her since they said it wasn't the real teacher that they knew???) Also the whole War and God thing confused me.

I liked Mizuho and her grandma's cats a lot though. It's just like me to love the girl with long dark hair and bangs character. It's an added bonus that she like's cats and she's got a little attitude. I also loved the dog!!!!!!! Yamabiko! he was hot ngl...and his voice was hot.... anyway. I also liked Rajdhani but why did they have to make him a caricature of an Indian boy... he was cute though, i liked his random parrot and how he eventually became a forest and looked after the animals that couldn't travel out of the Drift. I also liked Nozomi in the beginning but then she kind of stopped being a main character half way through (at least to me) it felt like she was drifting and then ofc she dies, but i had a feeling that would be inevitable as she saw the light and was fated to die before graduation. I wonder if the other Nozomi in the world that they went back to will still die... hmmm.

It was an odd show, it intrigued me so I watched all the episodes. There was only 12 episodes so it wasn't a huge commitment lol. I had a feeling that I wasn't going to get a satisfying ending about halfway through watching though. I haven't watched a whole anime through in a while so this was nice. I guess I'd reccomend it only if you had nothing else to watch and just wanted to watch something random. It kind of reminded me of Fooly Cooly and Promised Neverland. The soundtrack was also kind of a banger at times.

I guess that's all I want to say about it. I tried to Google some things for more clarity, but it's all up to your own interpretation and it isn't meant to have an explained ending. :-)

ok bye!!