doux's avatar

• United States
  • Joined Oct 8, 2018

D.Gray-man Hallow

Feb 19, 2019

Anime Review #7 - D.Gray-Man Hallow (season 5)

[ Completed Anime on monday 19-02-18 ]

Woah the art is way more detailed now but i guess that’s expected. I kinda like it even though they changed a lot of the colors (ie: miranda’s hair is a lighter brown now and allen has purple/gray eyes now) i know they changed some of the voices too but i honestly couldn't tell hah all the main characters had the same voices so i guess that’s all i ever pay attention to anyways so i had no problemo with it. Anyways let's get into this review shall we~

(Some episodes that I particularly enjoyed: 1, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13) *cough* release more *cough*

The plot: Continued series of “d.gray-man” picking up from when the exorcists move headquarters and allen is being monitored about his connection to the 14th/mana/nea. Also we finally get kanda’s back story and the second exorcists plan as well as why lord millennium wants the 14th in the first place. Also there are these new half exorcist/half akuma type people called the Thirds which i’m still kinda confused about but ehhhh and there's also these people called Crows who cast incantations and binds and stuff like that to monitor and protect ?? i guess lol i’m soo bad at explaining stuff idk why i even write reviews in the first place hhh. Agh just go read the manga >m<

Main Character Time!!! *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

-Allen: my precious boy! Omg he’s so pretty and sweet i love him so much. He’s too pure for the shit that happens to him i just wanna give him a hug :( so allen is the host of the 14th apostle (aka the noah nea) which is highkey badass asf even though it sucks because he’s such a sweetie and all this bad shit has to happen to him,,, but now he’s gotta go find himself and walk alone and suffer lolz so all the exorcists at the black order are like “allen is not an exorcist anymore! He’s a traitor!!! Grrr” but obviously that isnt true hh here comes those classic anime misunderstanding am i right ladies! Basically I love allen okay that’s that!

Other Characters I Enjoyed/Wanna Talk About!!!・:*:・゚☆

-Timcanpy: him BIG boy now! <( o W o )> we love timmy too too!

-Lord Millennium: aw he’s just a misunderstood thicc clown boy who just wants to be by his brother the 14th’s side again :/

-Marian Cross: i love this man! He cannot die! He is a cute dad! (ep 13 was adorable okkkkk thank you)

-Kanda: his character design looks very much the same expect perhaps he got hotter lol. Kanda grew on me though, i have to say! I really like him :3 his backstory is rough though like damn i feel bad for him :( also i knew his ass wasn't dead like come on kanda can't die you sillies :p i like how we finally got the relationship between kanda and allen to build aside from yelling at each other for no reason. It’s cute. He’s cute. I stan.

-Road: wow okay i love her? She’s a ‘bad guy’ but also highkey a good guy at the same time plus she’s cute and i like her ‘relationship’ with allen~ also her little doll transformation is cute! Also sis really took a hit for allen like wow she’s so adorable i love her even though she disappeared or something but we know she’s not dead either becauseeeee um well she can’t die!

-Tyki: melanin king :D <3 !!!!! lol i’m still not quite sure how he didnt die last season (i didn't read the manga) but regardless,,,, he still lookin fine as ever with his tall dark and handsome ass self and his little butterfly golems + he has long flowy hair now which is muy bien!

-Howard Link: even though he could be kinda dumb dumb stick up his ass at times, he was a nice guy whom i appreciated! Rip dude :( kinda sad that he died but i didn't have much of a connection with him to be sad about it tbh

Rating/Overall Thoughts!!♩♪♩

Overall I rate this anime a 9! Yo the art style got updated and it looks so pretty~ (i’m sure a lot of people would disagree with me on that one but i also liked the older art style too so shove off!) But yeah what can i say, i’m a sucker for drama and i love it when my favs are in pain SUE ME! I thought this 13 episode little sequel was good and yes i watched it all in one day! I literally went from watching all 103 eps of d.gray-man to watching all 13 episodes of hallow one after the other~~~ it’s a timeless show that grows on you okay.. IT'S A GOOD WATCH!

Now here’s me ranting about stuff,, lol idk you don’t have to read it i am a crackhead!

Also who tf- this cardinal dude just shows up out of nowhere lookin like that lizard dude from the amazing spiderman but i support allen teaming up with the noah’s to get away from him! Also what the heck why can't everyone just live in peaceful harmony in the end smh like the noahs are all peachy keen doing their own thing and the exorcists can do their thing and they can be friends or something! Like this shows preaches ~friendship~ so come on now stop being hypocrites!

Here’s another tangent: Literally none of the ‘og exorcist gang’ did anything in these 13 episodes like lenalee and lavi and krory barely had any screen time lol but still i’d watch another season if they continued it because i like it! I’m probably gonna read the manga sometime soon as well~ If you’re considering watching this show but think it’s too long, lemme be honest witchu. A lot of episodes in “seasons 1-2” of the 2006 series were sooo boring. Like a majority of those episodes were fillers and it was so tedious watching the same format for every episode play out like: the exorcists go on a mission to a new town, “oh no! There’s akuma here!” :O, time to kill the akuma!, yay we saved the town!, now we go to new town :3, the end! Like seriously episodes 10-40 were like that only. But trust me bois, once you get to episode 50 the plot actually gets good! I know it takes a hot minute to get there but i recommend watching only episodes where new characters are introduced but not like those one episode only characters. I know this isn't helpful at all lol but like just skip all that junk! you only need to watch the first couple of episodes to get the feel of the characters, then watch the episodes where they meet miranda and road, then watch where they meet lavi and the bookman, then watch krory, (i love kanda but you don't need to watch any of the episodes that are just about him lol unless you want to idk go for it i guess), just wait it out trust me the plot does start to pick up once allen stops being a pussy bitch and his innocence evolves into cool stuff throughout the progression of the anime. Also, another option would be read the manga up until the chapter that corresponds with ep 50 in the anime and do it that way. But yeah d.gray-man episodes 50-103 and then all of d.gray-man hallow 1-13 were good imo you just gotta push through and get to that juicy content! Anyways, my reviews are always super weird and contain 0 actually valuable info, but whateves. Moral of the story is, i love allen walker (i kind of have a thing for cute boys with shitty pasts and cool ass powers!),  I also really started to like the Noahs as well like they’re justs rad guys! The exorcists started to annoy me with their self-righteousness ‘all akuma must die’ ideology like the noahs are sweeties and so is the millennium earl! Also can everyone stop turning on Allen for hm idk 5 goddamn minutes?! Like it’s misunderstanding after misunderstanding… at this point with these guys like come on were any of the exorcists really allen’s friends in the first place if they go on second guessing him everytime he does anything.. Sheesh.

Anyways, I still got a lot of questions and no answers so imma go read the manga now! Peace and...

that's all folks :-)