dekershekers's avatar

dekershekers

• Australia
  • Joined Oct 23, 2013
  • ? / M

I've always had a soft spot for pokemon in my heart. The games have always been generally good, with X and Y being exceptionally better. However, when it comes to the anime, I can't think too much of it. Sure, the first season was fantastic even in the 4kids version. But, after that it keeps going and going and going and ash is still bloody 10 years old. So, I simply watch the movies and that's it. But like the series, the same thing happened to the movies. After a while, it got boring. Then came gen 4. Lucario and the mystery of mew was fantastic, and so was manaphy and the temple of the sea. Rise of darkrai is my favourite pokemon movie to date, and the giratina and arceus movies were okay. The zororak movie was damn fine as well, and it is my second favourite. But, then came the 5th gen. I was so pumped for the victini movie, and I was slightly dissapointed. Then, I was extremely excited for the keldeo and kyurem movie. The trailer, especially in japanese, looked amazing. But, when it comes to trailers many people can turn dog dump into gold. Then came this movie. Mewtwo, MEWTWO, MEWTWO!!!!!!! I was waiting patiently for this movie, which looked so awesome in every trailer. It looked as if the pokemon company was finally listening to the fans. Even pokemon the origin was amazing, which got me hyped up even more. You're expepecting a but, aren't you. Here it comes! BUT, it was exactly what I hoped wouldn't happen. It's the same god damn style of story that made them screw up the last two films. A group of genesect try to find their home and in the process they attack innocent people. A different mewtwo (that's right, IT'S NOT THE SAME MEWTWO!) tries to stop them. The supposed 'mano e mano' battle everyone was hoping for never happens. All it is is a bunch of whining genesect trying to find a place to live and misunderstandin everyone in the process. DAMN YOU, POKEMON! I have to say that this is the worst pokemon movie to date when it comes to storyline. And it outweighs the other aspects, sadly.

The animation is obviously the strongest point of this movie, but it mirrors the style this movie hopes to achieve. Sure, it's fluent and bright and colourful. But this, however, is not what the movie should have been like. If this movie wanted to be successful with the real fans of the franchise, the animation would have been somewhat darker, much like the story should have been. Sure, it's all cute, but that's not what this movie was supposed to be. It should have been darker. Still, there's nothing wrong with the animation. Its decent, but I expected more.

I sadly couldn't find a subbed version for the movie, so I was forced to watch it dubbed. It's not the worst thing, but it hilights certain issues. In the english version, the opening theme is way to short. In previous movies, there were really epic and interesting openings with amazing themes. In this film, it cuts it down to twenty seconds and a minute later, you have the stupid kiddyfied song that the dub put in. The rest of the film has okay music, but its really nothing special. Like I said, the story outweighs all of this.

The characters are the other problem with this. Once again, they focus way too much on ash. This is fine, if he's supposed to be the protagonist. However here, its obvious he's not. He does nothing in this; he simply stands by and helps out once or twice. And, this goes without saying but I'm saying it anyway, HE'S STILL 10 YEARS OLD! No time leap? No 'ten years later'? Still, this doesn't have anything to do with the movie. The reason why ash sucks in this movie is because they give him too much unnessecary screentime. He's not the protagonist, okay? Also, the other annoying thing is that the two side character's are always explaining things to make them tie in with the games. This is useless. Take Arceus and the Jewel of Life, for example. Did anyone ever say 'oh no, arceus used judgement!"? No, they didn't. It's not nessecary. I you watch these movies, you probably already understand what's going on without this. Now, the worst part of the characters is mewtwo and genesect. They are in complete misrepresentation here, as you should be able to see. Mewtwo is NOT the same mewtwo from the first pokemon movie. Hoping for him to return? Well too bad! This mewtwo is female, and they never explain her origins at all. Many people are probably thinking 'but I thought there was only one mewtwo". Well, keep guessing, as they never explain it. Genesect also sucks here. There are five, actually, and one of theme is a shiny. Okay, you'd think that's pretty cool, BUT NO! These genesect aren't out to kill all in their path by some evil scientist, they just want to find their home! Sound stupid, THAT'S BECAUSE IT IS! These characters had such potential, but instead they ruined it just as they ruined the other films.

Maybe, if you're stupidly optimistic and always see the good over the bad no matter how bad it is (like Kafuka in Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei), then you'll think this movie is STILL A PILE OF CRAP! The animation and sound barely stay over the line between good quality and bad quality, and the story and characters outweigh these aspects. If you are a fan of pokemon, DO NOT WATCH THIS. If you are not a fan of pokemon, DO NOT WATCH THIS. If you are a kid who doesn't know better, DO NOT WATCH THIS. In my opinion, this is the worst pokemon film to date. Of corse, this entire review is opinionated, and you may think it biest. But if you think that, then be my guest and watch it. You'll see how bad it really is. And if not, then whatever. To each his or her own. I hate this movie, though, mainly because it dissapointed me. It's so kid friendly that it ruins the plot. Once pokemon stops being too kid friendly (maybe take some inspiration from avatar, even though its not an anime), the franchise can re-vitalise itself. Listen guys, just stop reading this and watch the origin. It's better than the genesect movie, I can guarentee.