corkboard's avatar

corkboard

• Joined Mar 13, 2012
  • ?

This show goes from tragic to campy to syrupy in what are essentially three emotional acts, and it does each of them fairly well.  The mixture, however, is a little more jarring than I could really take.  The first few episodes, and episode one in particular, made me feel like crying at every turn.  The characters were so raw and the storyline so convincing.  Then, when the initial tension is resolved, it drops into several episodes of club hijinks and PG perversion.  Then, when it looks like it will take a turn for the dark again, it ends up trying to tie up story arc after story arc with happy endings.  It was worth watching, but at the end I feel like some kind of creative direction was needed to make the story more consistently appealing.

The sound was average, with the voiceacting being rather unimpressive.  The art, when it was the focus, was excellent, but it was interspersed with far too many cartoonish scenes (and a couple of persistently cartoonish characters) for my tastes.  If you can do the art and animation well, do it.  The characters were the best feature overall, with only the protagonist (and the grandfather) being far too two-dimensional to be believable.

It's above average overall but only slightly so.

You must be logged in to leave comments. or