chickietenders's avatar

chickietenders

• my pineapple under the sea
  • Joined Oct 6, 2020

Pochamani

Feb 23, 2021

Okay so I only do reviews if the material impacted me in a significant way and usually it's positive because I don't like being a negative person but I didn't like this at all.

This made me very uncofortable.

I've seen people on other platforms praise this manga as being inclusive and wholesome but I think it's creepy and super fetishized.

For starters, the main female lead is drawn very cute and round with a lot of soft edges and she's midsized kind of like me. Very unlike the typical shoujo protags which is what drew me to this manga in the first place. And most other people did tease her about her weight but she still has a best friend which is nice. And for the most part it has a cute start with a lot of lines from the ML accepting her weight and whatnot.

My problem is his obsession with it. They call the ML "chubby-maniac" because he's obsessed with soft and squishy things and that's his ain attraction to her. He's likes that she's squishy. And yeah, you could argue that he likes her for her personality too and that all relationships start out with an intial hysical attraction. But it's so weird to me how he keeps obsessing over it and how nearly every chapter focuses on him trying to "keep her squishy" even when she's actively trying to control her weight. He's nulling her attempts at changing her body to how she wants it/

Idk maybe I'm just being picky but it's just weirding me out