calophichan's avatar

• Philadelphia, PA
  • Joined Jul 25, 2014

My Brother's Husband

May 3, 2019

This manga is a great read if you want to know more about how homosexuality is viewed in Japan. This manga touches on how toxic it is to ignore friends and family who need to be supported, the double standards on how people act toward someone who is homoxual vs if they are straight, and more. It also shows some other japanese stigmas and prejudices against people with tattoos and single parents, and how a parent's work is not considered real work.

I wasn't a huge fan of the art, dudes are built really stocky and thicc and sometimes the faces got really lazy. But seeing where the mangaka came from I can forgive the stocky dudes a bit. I really liked the character design for Mike though. I wish he did have a pot belly instead of being buff, unsure why the shirt was drawn to make him look fat when he isn't.

I love how this is a man's jouirney from being afraid of gay people to seeing that they are still people who deserve to be treated the same as everyone else. I loved that this book never tried to become a romance and kept its message pure for the reader.

If you are looking for insights into Japanese predjudices and a warm and fuzzy family story I highly recommend this book.