birdlandmemories's avatar

• Joined Dec 17, 2019
  • 19

The Asterisk War

Feb 27, 2020

I am a bit surprised by the negative reviews for this anime. I thought it did some things I wish other anime would do more over.

Story: Ayato Amagiri is trying to find his lost sister, and along the way he meets Julis Alexa Van Riessfeld, and the 2 team up to fight in a huge tournament. However, the student council presidents each have their own motives and even after winning the tournament, the battle has only begun. I like the story and the progession it takes. The characters are solidly introduced and have their moment to shine.

Animation: No complaints. It was solid. Character designs were well done and backgrounds were interesting.

Sound: My laptop does not have working sound, so I cannot evaluate voice acting or the soundtrack.

Characters: This is where this anime really stands out for me. Ayato is a likable protagonist who's easy to root for, and even if Julis is the weak link among the main characters, she has some redeemable qualities, and her motivation is novel. Saya and Kirin, instead of being treated as add ons to the harem see their own character growth as well. We see how they improve their bond and chemistry as partners, and how they get to shine in the tournament as well. That's something I wish more anime would do. Sylvia from what I've read gets some major character development in the novels, so I'm really interested to see how her character progresses.

Overall: This was fun. I enjoyed it and binge watched it admittedly. It's a shame it's only 2 seasons. If there's a 3rd I will definitely give it a watch.

9.5/10 characters