birdlandmemories's avatar

birdlandmemories

• Joined Dec 17, 2019
  • 20

There is a lot of fanservice, especially in the early episodes, but I didn't hate this as much as I thought I would in the beginning. Some of the episodes were well done and the storyline got more intriguing as time passed.

Story: The story is a bit confusing, as Kamito Kazehaya enters an all girls academy. He formerly participated in the Blade Dance 3 years ago as Ren Ashbell, a girl who many elementalists (including the 4 main female protagonists) look up to. Part of the intrigue is the girls finding out Ren's true identity, and also Kamito's search for Restia, his old spirit. There are a few other minor antogonists throughout, though we also have no idea if Greyworth is friend or foe. It's an interesting storyline, one that does make you want to read the light novel to find out what happens.

Animation: I despised the animation at first. I thought it was ugly, messy and inconsistent. Over time, I don't dislike it, but I'm not too big a fan of it still. The character designs are nice, but sometimes they look different in other scences.

Sound: As I stated in a previous review, my laptop doesn't have working sound, so I watch anime silently. I can't evalute voice acting or soundtrack.

Characters: I didn't particularly like a character more than others, but there was none that got on my nerves either. Claire is one many people won't like for her outlandish, loud, and chaotic personality. But she's a classic tsundere which didn't bother me too much. Ellis is probably my favorite character just because she's a bit more level-headed than the others. The protagonist himself Kamito is likable, and does a solid job filling that role. Rinslet doesn't get as much screentime as the others, but her rivalry is Claire is decent. The interactions between characters can be awkward and all over the place at points, and sometimes there are inconsistencies, but it's not too bad.

Overall: After episode 1, I thought I'd hate this anime. I was thinking about which episode I'd drop it at. But surprisingly, I stuck with it and watched all 12 episodes, and ended up with a more positive impression of it than I thought I'd get. It did make me want to read the light novels to see where the story progressed, and if there's a season 2, I'd probably check it out.