besma0003's avatar

• Joined May 19, 2015
  • ?

Sekine's Love

Nov 3, 2019

This was different. I'm still not sure how I feel about it. But I'll give a synopsis since it doesn't have a very good one.

Sekine is good at everything he does except socializing with people. He feels empty inside and lacks his own identity. He walks into a craft shop looking for something to occupy his mind. The old man starts teaching him magic trips. He picks up the tricks quickly but the old man decides to take a trip suddenly and Sekine is left in the hands of his granddaughter, Sara. She teaches him how to knit. The two slowly build a relationship and develop feelings for each other.

My biggest complaint about this story is the number of misunderstandings the two characters have. It's over the top and not all of them are fully resolved at the end. I would have enjoyed the story more with a little less misunderstanding.

If Sekine was a real person, I'm pretty sure he would be diagnosed with autism. He really can't express himself well. I don't think he ever says the words "I like you" throughout the whole story. It's a good thing Sara is able to understand him eventually.

I liked Sara and for some reason, my mind gave her a voice. I've never read something before and assigned a voice to a character. But Sara has a very distinct voice in my mind. No idea why.