artlee1820's avatar

artlee1820

• Joined Feb 20, 2016
  • 20

I'm writing this review for the entire Yu Gi Oh franchise because I'm too lazy to write all of them.

So a bunch of kids are going around with cards with special powers instead of going to school. Oh joy!

I wanted to make that comment first to describe the mood of the show. It's not supposed to be super logical, like pokemon. I mean, you're not really supposed to wonder if you're allowed to just leave your home at age 10 to wander around with stranger kids who are just like you trying to catch magical creatures. Same thing here; everybody plays this epic card game. apparently it is extremely important because of their bonds with the cards and their friends.

Next characters. For each different Yu Gi Oh show, we are introduced to a differnt group of friends who like to play cards together. For now, Ill be focusing mainly on the Duel Monsters, GX, and the 5D series because those are the ones I've watched.

For this type of show, don't expect the main character to loose very much. Sure, they may loose one or two major battles throughout the entire show, but usually, it's almost certain that our hero will make a comeback at the last minute every time. For this show, instead of being caught up with who is going to loose, you just enjoy watching the main character win.

The story as I have said, is mainly repetitive and predictable. Major themes are quite easy to understand, like friendship, trust, and hope. Well, for each show in the franchise the theme and story may vary a little, with varius evil beings trying to either destroy or control the world. Out of them, the show with the lightest, least heavily dark plot is GX, since they are never serious in Duel Academia, and the theme is more about learning to have fun playing and good sport. Duel monsters on the other hand starts out silly but soon goes down very dark, even though the fact that we all know our Pharaoh will prevail, and centers it's theme more on the friendship between the duelers. 5D's dystopian world of card games is also more similar to the Duel Monsters's overall tone. Maybe darker, but I haven't finished that show yet, so Ill just end this review here.