apoc9's avatar

apoc9

• Joined Nov 22, 2011

The deeper the story goes into the abyss more I think whoever is writing this has to be insane or psychologically disturbed and should seek help. I've already read the manga up and beyond the point of events in the movie. It's sequel to the Made in Abyss series adapting floor 5 arc. If you have seen Made in Abyss series and like it in the past, you are going to enjoy the movie. If you didn’t like it before, you are going to hate it even more after watching the movie. The movie is a sequel and presumes you watched the anime series. So, if you didn’t, I wouldn’t recommend to watch this before you watch the anime series.

Generally speaking, Made in Abyss series seems on the surface adventure/mystery series with some action mixed as heroes try to repel various predatory species in abyss. I would say that a half of it is more like alien and cannibal holocaust movie rather than mere adventure. Gruesome scenes happen, while blabbering some nonsense about adventure, progress, love and suffering to hide behind blanket of intellectual value. It’s Re:Zero again expect it’s slightly better, because there are no usual waifus, Subaru and most importantly pointless time resets. As the story progresses oddity and bizarre things in abyss increase. I’ve become somewhat allergic on stories strongly driven by shock factor. The first half of the Made in Abyss anime series was so good, damn!

The animation and visuals are nice, so that aspect you are going to enjoy. Soundtrack is good. The story does drag only very little. At few moments I thought it felt slow and I wanted to skip a bit.

Characters are same as before, there is little development, but it’s just like one mini-arc so it doesn’t matter that much. Story I would prefer something more respectable and saner.

As one time watch it's ok.

5.5/10 overall

You must be logged in to leave comments. or