apoc9's avatar

apoc9

• Joined Nov 22, 2011

Dragon Ball Super

Aug 3, 2015

I do not know about you, but I was completely satisfied when DBZ ended. I wouldn't even mind if it ended sooner - before Majin Buu saga. From time to time I went to it back and rewatched great battles and other good moments. However one day something happened. The Dragonball Kai started to air. I looked at it and it was basicaly the same thing like DBZ cut off now and there with different voiceover. After Dragon Ball Z the battle of Gods came out I watched it solely from duty. Man it was boring and cheap. When I heard that a second Dragon Ball Z movie is in making this time not only with the Freeza as main villain, but this time with the "F" in the title, I was certian Toriyama is sending a message to older Dragon Ball fans (and it was not a japanese word for a ressurection).

Now to the anime, which builds on those latest movies. After few rather boring episodes filled with bad comedy it is clear that first arc is basicaly a remake of "the battle of Gods" movie, followed by the second remake of the second movie "Fukkatsu no F". If you watched the movies just skip to the episode 28. Speaking of comedy that tone reminds me slightly the first Dragon Ball anime. However it is not so over the top and less funny. I do not mind updated graphic style, but was it necessary to go through the battle of Gods and the Fukkatsu no F again?
In order to make Beerus (and Freeza) strong, Toriyama had to nerf everyone else. This is clear during Vegeta's training on 150G. In DBZ Goku trained on 100G, when he went to planet Namek. When Vegeta was training to reach super saiyan he was training up to 400G. After this powers of super saiyans multiplied several times. Even if they got sloppy, they wouldn't go so low. In consequence battles suck in new Dragon Ball. Most of it is Beerus deflecting with single finger or destroying planets in same manner.

Opening and music themes suck in comparison to the DBZ and DB.

I do not usualy care much about animation, but man. Dragon Ball Super looks much worse than the old DB and DBZ. Not only that the animation is so horrible it is worse than other present day anime series. It completely breaks immersion in any fight. For that reason I am lowering the score on the animation from average to 2/10.

The Dragon Ball Super is like an attempt to drill oil from depleted oil field. Dragon ball has already used its tropes and everything it will do now, will be lame version of the same. I do not know why Toriyama decided to milk his Dragon Ball(s) dry, but at this level this simply won't do.

You must be logged in to leave comments. or

BuffToph Aug 12, 2018

I completely agree with all of your statements. DBS is just a cash grab for toei and it's investors. They made a mediocre sequel of DBZ and of course the fanboys were satisfied (I mean it's freaking Dragon ball!).

One other point you could've mention is the sheer stupidity of Beerus. A god of destruction that is only motivated by food is completely retarded. And on top of that, he looks like shit! I mean just look at him. He literally is an anorexic Egyptian cat with a eating disorder lol.

jesusmannn Jan 2, 2017

its still better than gt

NekroNeko Jul 5, 2016

Your argument that Toriyama has effectively nerfed all the characters to make Beerus seem strong is quite misjudged.  There are any number of reasons why Vegeta would be training at 150 fold gravity such as it being a warm up or warm down before getting into it properly for example.

All your other arguments are jaded and thus it kind of invalidates reviews, especially scoring it badly on the animation and sound which are pretty solid.

Is it as good as Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z?  Probably not, but it's certainly not as bad as GT either.  One good point about Dragon Ball Super though is that the battles don't last 30+ episodes and thus, don't get draining and boring.  Seems you liked watching them milk those battles though yet Super is the point you think they are milking Dragon Ball too far.

DeViLLmAyCrY Jun 28, 2016