amamirantarou's avatar

amamirantarou

• New Hampshire
  • Joined Jul 18, 2018
  • 22

Let me preface this by saying the first season of this show was arguably one of my favourite slice of life shows. It was very wholesome/funny outside of a few moments but overall was very enjoyable to watch because they didn't follow the manga to a T (from what I've heard, this may be wrong as I've never read the manga for this show). Additionally, I am not a prude by any means. Finally this is phrased weirdly because I don't know if things are censored/filtered on this site.

This season, in no uncertain terms, genuinely felt like an entirely different show. The sexual aspects were not only increased exponentially, but now they also felt the need to portray Kobayashi as someone who's attracted to children. For an episode, Ilulu (who is an entire problem on her own in regards to character and design) gave Kobayashi male genitals and there were times she felt incredibly uncomfortable around Kanna and Ilulu, who are both children. This felt incredibly out of character for her and, I can not stress this enough, very uncomfortable to watch.

On the topic of this, Ilulu as a whole was a detrament to the show towards the beginning but (thankfully?) got better towards the end. Why did the artist feel the need to make someone who has basically the same body as Kanna (apart from the chest) so uncomfortably, harassingly horny towards Kobayashi. Completely ignoring in universe aspects like her being part of the chaos faction and all that, WHY does she both look like that and act like that. Is it for shock value? I have no idea. Like I said, it tones down drastically after around episode 4/5 and she DOES turn into a decent support character, it still was a very weird thing to do.

Overall, after around the halfway mark it returns to it's normal, run of the mill slice of life (outside of some points but that was consistent with the first season) which was strange. I feel like certain parts of the first part of this season could have been omitted and strayed from the manga in order to lower the discomfort factor. I'm giving it a 5/10 since half the show was ok due to this.