ZoologyKaM's avatar

• Joined Dec 18, 2013
  • 33 / Other

Fox Spirit Matchmaker

Jan 16, 2018

Hnnng... What to say. I enjoyed it but also had a lot of problems with this anime.

Pro: Good animation and character design. Also had very heartfelt stories. I enjoyed the main characters and their quirks, and was excited to know their full story. I also enjoyed the side stories for the other 3 hooked up couples.
Con: I was expecting more romance restorations. It seemed like it spent too much time on the failure to hook up the main characters, than it did on the ACTUAL FRIGGEN TITLE OF MATCHMAKING! I mean come on... 24 episodes and only 3 hooked up couples?

I was expecting the main characters to slowly rebuild their own relationship and regain their lost memories during the process of working together to help the other couples. Instead, we got one couple hooked up, and then a long progression of figuring out what the backstory for the main characters was, in no particular order.

I also had an issue with the way the episodes were spliced together.
In the original chinese, the episodes are a different length to the ones in japanese. Several times, the exact same 5 seconds of frame were shown repeatedly, in order to add a few seconds of frame time to the episode, in order to make it the right length. Another time, we spent half an episode rewatching a shortened version of EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED IN THE PREVIOUS EPISODE. I understand having recaps, but this series isn't long enough for more than a 20 second recap, and it definitely shouldn't have replayed one episode shortened to half an episode.

If possible I'd recomend going to watch the original chinese. That's what I plan to do at some point. Even 4Kids doesn't edit their dubs this badly.

You must be logged in to leave comments. or