Yanagi13's avatar

• Joined Dec 11, 2010

Naruto

Dec 12, 2010

Synopsis

Twelve years prior to the story's opening, the sprit of the Nine-Tailed Fox attacked the Shinobi village of Konohagakure. In order to save his people, the legendary Fourth Hokage sacrificed himself, and sealed the demon within the body of an infant Naruto. Naruto itself is the story of the same boy, now a pre-adolescent, seeking recognition and a purpose in a world that has already predetermined his destiny. Naruto never knew his family, and because of the spirit he houses, his fellow villagers shunned him. This left Naruto completely isolated, and eventually drove him to pursue their recognition above all else. As such, Naruto's dream is the surpass all of the previous leaders of Konoha and become the greatest Hokage!

Story (9/10)

Like many other classics of its genre, Naruto follows a fairly basic recipe in regards to Shounen manga; a flawed, dim-witted adolescent boy with a heavy burden is destined to save and eventually change is world. Dragonball, Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter X Hunter, Shaman King, One Piece... I could list perhaps a dozen well-known and respected Shounen series that have also relied strictly upon this concept in the past. Admittedly, I had been drawn away from the series for over three years for that exact reason. Nevertheless, even in all its original indifference, Naruto began to stand out somehow as it progressed. Something I could not quite comprehend surfaced eventually, and in no time, I found myself completely drawn into the world and the characters of Naruto. Still, it is very difficult to review the story in its entirety, simply because it consists primarily of foreshadowing, and the smallest detail occurring today may very well have an enormous influence in the future. Nonetheless, I consider it to be well crafted and more than acceptable for a coming-of-age tale. All in all, I believe it is the emotions Naruto contains that make series so addictive and engaging. As such, I have rated it accordingly.

Animation (7/10)

Animation is without a doubt one of Naruto's weaker points, as it is plagued by constant changes in quality depending upon the importance of the episode. As I retrace my thoughts, several moments in particular stand out, and still cause me to shudder with utter disappointment. Still, in some instances I was overly joyed about how a certain fight or scene was converted. Another thing that becomes apparent early on is the lack of detail in regards to backgrounds during scenes of distress. The most well drawn, and fluid battle sequences are always coupled by the most inferior backgrounds. Still, I should hold back my complaints some, because this same incurable disease affects many Shounen series. All in all, the animation of Naruto could have been both much better and much worse, and it does improve dramatically when Shippuden begins.

Sound (9/10)

As far as the sound quality of Naruto goes, I have next to no complaints. Both Toshio Masuda and Yasuharu Takanashi deliver glorious pieces of background music for the original Naruto and for Shippuden respectively. Combining classical Japanese and rock instruments definitely brought out the best results in both cases, particularly in Shippuden, due to the series' sizable increase in budget. I still sit back and listen to several of the more beautiful tracks occasionally, and it never ceases to amaze me how I can recall each and every scene from the series in striking detail. Interesting how music alone can bring these emotions out in a person, but that isn't exactly relevant. I suppose I have one small complaint in regards to the openings and closings, which can be either excellent or terrible, depending entirely upon the song and video. I can vividly recall the very first opening of the series, R.O.C.K.S by Hound Dog, as being one of the worst songs I had ever heard. In complete contradiction, I greatly enjoyed Haruka Kanata, the second opening, by Asian Kung Fu Generation.

Characters (10/10)

Naruto's characters are literally a key component to what makes the series so masterfully crafted. Spanning from the perfectly developed protagonist Naruto Uzumaki himself, to the spine-chilling and sadistic Gaara, I believe that I have adored every single character presented thus far. The author of the series has proven himself repeatedly to an audience of millions across the globe through his gifts for storytelling, but by far, the most fascinating and complex dimensions of his story are the dozens of relationships Naruto forms throughout the plot. I could make daylong lists quoting the methods this protagonist has utilized to affect each and every secondary character, singularly the series' antagonists. It is truly incredible how one man could format such an intriguing tale all on his own, and for such an accomplishment, I greatly admire him.

Overall (9/10)

I realize that there are many, many people in this world who will disagree upfront with my decision to rate Naruto as I have. In all honesty, Naruto is not but an extremely mainstream Shounen. I certainly understand that it can prove difficult for some to become initially involved in the storyline. I myself have had a similar reaction to One Piece, a series that my twin sister adores to her very core. As I sit here typing this, I find it extremely strenuous to produce the words with which to describe my judgments accurately. I suppose the only true way for one to grasp the basis’ of these opinions is to experience Naruto first-hand, and so with that said, I conclude this review of Masashi Kishimoto's, Naruto.

capitol Dec 12, 2010

This was very well written.

You should submit it as a official review, however you do that :)