Yakisoda's avatar

Yakisoda

• Joined Nov 30, 2018

I originally gave Yashahime a higher score of 4/10 but it really doesn't even deserve that much. This sequel is nothing like Inuyasha and that's okay but it's so poorly written. I'm a huge fan of the original series but this is just horrible and it hurts to see the fandom give it praise. This was really just made to cash in on people's nostalgia. It wasn't even Rumiko Takahashi's idea and you can tell she just worked on character designs because that's the only good part of this whole series.

Story: The plot is a mess and keeps introducing random demons who have nothing to do with the story. I can't figure out what the main goal of thr characters is besides Towa who wants to find the dream butterfly to help Setsuna regain her memories and sleep again. It's revealed that Inuyasha and Kagome are sealed away in his father's grave and Rin is sealed in the tree of ages. Of course no one is trying to help them because the children don't even know who their parents are or that they're sealed away. There's the main villain Kirinmaru, who I guess is trying to get the 7 rainbow pearls. The pearls are really just a ripoff of the rainbow crystals from Sailor Moon combined with the shikon jewel from the original Inuyasha series. Moroha, Setsuna, and Towa all have rainbow pearls sealed in one of their eyes so Kirinmaru and his gang are out to get them. Kirinmaru is also against them because he's the rival of their grandfather, Inu no Taisho aka Tōga. The main characters from the original cast hardly do anything and they feel really different from their old selves. The plot is hard to understand and is so poorly written that you can't really summarize what the hell is going on. This sequel reads like a horribly written fan fiction and I have no idea how it was green lit.

Characters: Moroha is the only character I really liked and probably the only redeeming quality of this show overall. You can tell that she's Inuyasha and Kagome's child because of how extroverted and determined she is. Setsuna is an okay character but she still feels a little flat and undeveloped. Towa is one of the worst characters out of the whole sequel. She is annoying as hell and is constantly sympathizing with the demons. Not to mention, she gives her rainbow pearl to Riku, who is seen interacting with the villains. She literally regrets giving it to him a few minutes later and that just pissed me off. Takechiyo is really just Shippo 2.0 but more annoying and he doesn't really offer anything to the story other than comedic relief that comes off as annoying. Kirinmaru is a less menacing Naraku and all the villains are really poorly written. They're literally getting their asses beat by children who are not even full demon, which is just plot armor at its finest. Now let's talk about the old cast. Inuyasha and Kagome the main characters of the old series are hardly present so there's not really anything to talk about. Miroku is training to become a better priest and that's it. I wish they would go more into depth about him losing his wind tunnel and the implications of it but they just show him training and sealing Setsuna's demon form. Sango and the rest of the female cast have been reduced to being just mothers and wives. It's okay if they're mothers but they should be more than just that. They really lack their old personalities and feel like imposters of their original selves. Shippo isn't present in the sequel at all because we have Shippo 2.0, aka Takechiyo. Sesshomaru is siding with the villains to I guess protect his kids, Setsuna and Towa. They really destroyed his character in this sequel. First he had kids with Rin who was believed to be 14 or 15 at the time, then he follows the villains around and does what they want. In the original series, he did whatever he wanted, even if he became softer he was still kind of cold. His actions make no sense in this series and I don't understand why Rin had to be the mother. I saw it coming but it still comes off as pedophilia. Kaede is still alive for some reason and I guess it's because the writers didn't have the balls to kill her off. The characters feel so dull and I can't really attach myself to any of them besides Moroha.

I hoped that this sequel would be good because I loved the Inuyasha series, but I clearly had my standards too high. I do not recommend this anime to anyone, especially old fans of the original series. It ruined what was once a good ending and ruined the original characters. It's sad because we could have easily got a good remake or reboot of one of Takahashi's older series like Urusei Yatsura, Ranma 1/2 or Maison Ikkoku. My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.

1.5/10 overall

You must be logged in to leave comments. or

OsumarefromMAL May 2, 2021

I now realize that Naraku was the good guy after all. He was trying to kill everyone because he had a vision that this sequel would be made and he tried to save us viewers from having to witness our childhood be ruined. God bless Naraku!