XxZeroeZxX's avatar

• ...Not Anymore!
  • Joined Sep 2, 2010

Vampire Knight Guilty

Oct 1, 2010

This has been a long time coming. Honestly, the reason I took so long is that I didn't really know how to approach this review. I decided that I'll just take a look at Vampire Knight as a whole. Guilty definitely far exceeds season one, but that makes sense since it's a direct continuation of the plot. As such, the plot is really backloaded. There's only one significant event that actually happens in the first season in retrospect. This series is really really good, so anyone who instantly avoids it because of the whole vampire cliché, I would say to at least give it a chance. Anyone who likes drama will love this series. All the way down to the message at the end of every episode, "I will show you a sweet dream next night." Now I'll start hammering down the mechanical aspects of the review. The characters are great, really polarizing. Only three are fully developed: Yuuki, Zero, and Kaname. And the reason I say only, is because many of the supplementary characters in their brief moments of significance are quite compelling, but you never really find out much about them. If the producers were to make an offshoot of the series that featured these characters instead (sort of how Please Twins follows Please Teacher, but not exactly), I think it would be quite successful. But having said that; Yuuki, Zero, and Kaname, are really terrific characters. Zero and Kaname are very cliché, but still incredibly enjoyable to watch. Yuuki is probably the best character so far as to say she goes through the most literal transformation. This is one of those series that you would kind of suspect a lot of symbolism, but really the plot's complexities are always described in great detail which in some ways is a downfall. It would have been nice if the series let you think things through first and then exposed the truth. Also, the pacing is a little weird. You expect and get for the most part the slow episodic drama, but there are always things going on in the background which are actually quite fast-paced. The story as it goes along is quite interesting and there are some twists (though honestly you see them coming several episodes ahead of time). And though I felt that the bit of vagueness in the ending was appropriate, I really thought the series could have used just a touch of tragedy to have left the viewer with more of a lasting image. So overall, Vampire Knight is a very good series that lacks the certain verve meriting elite statue, still 8.5 out of 10.

8.5/10 story